Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I will post a tutorial if enough haunters are interested, but happy to say these bit**es are finally done. Been working on them for nearly two years, off and on. Why did they take so long?

• I don't draw plans...it all comes out of my head and I make it up as I go
  • I tend to over-engineer things
  • It is too hot in Texas to do much work in the garage 4 months of the year
  • I really try to go for an authentic look in all my props
Here are some of the work in progress photos...

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thanks, pretty happy with the 'cement'. Just monster mud over distressed foam, then weathered with paint washes, etc.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Those are awesome. I really like how the fence spindles are bent and twisted a bit here and there like the gates have been around for years and people have tried to climb over or tried to bend the spindles to try and get through. The cement work is also amazing. Nicely done. Well worth the time it took to make them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I will post a tutorial if enough haunters are interested, but happy to say these bit**es are finally done. Been working on them for nearly two years, off and on. Why did they take so long?

• I don't draw plans...it all comes out of my head and I make it up as I go
  • I tend to over-engineer things
  • It is too hot in Texas to do much work in the garage 4 months of the year
  • I really try to go for an authentic look in all my props
Here are some of the work in progress photos...
Here is pretty much the finished product...

20190916_224746.jpg
20190916_224443.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
those mother f-ers are nice!!!! i may have to up mine, i have a much bigger area now and the small columns are gonna go like babies compared to the size of my yard. gonna need something like this for that wow factor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those mother f-ers are nice!!!! i may have to up mine, i have a much bigger area now and the small columns are gonna go like babies compared to the size of my yard. gonna need something like this for that wow factor.
Thanks. And yes, I think the scale is important too. We have a two story brick house and I made these big enough and with the same brick pattern so as to try and 'match', as well as be big enough to look like they were built as part of the house. Will post another pick after they are setup in two weeks. :)

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,521 Posts
Wow! Fantastic! I'll need to use some of your ideas for when I remake 'em. I haven't gotten there yet, but plan to. What did you use for bricks? It looks like gaslight panels like the ones I made, but yours is a little different. The problem I have with the panels I used is they're not weatherproof, so they warp with rain. That's why I need to remake them. Just wondering where you got your brick panel, and if they're weatherproof.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Fantastic! I'll need to use some of your ideas for when I remake 'em. I haven't gotten there yet, but plan to. What did you use for bricks? It looks like gaslight panels like the ones I made, but yours is a little different. The problem I have with the panels I used is they're not weatherproof, so they warp with rain. That's why I need to remake them. Just wondering where you got your brick panel, and if they're weatherproof.
Joker, the.brick panels come in sheets at HD or Lowe's. I plan to brush some Drylok or Polycrylic on them before the go out. Hopefully that will keep em dry enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes thanks, pretty happy with the 'cement'. Just monster mud over distressed foam, then weathered with paint washes, etc.
Would you mind going in to how you weathered the brick and stone to look so aged and creepy? Products you prefer? Tools used to apply them? Anything you’ve learned that works really well for you? Your work is beautiful!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would you mind going in to how you weathered the brick and stone to look so aged and creepy? Products you prefer? Tools used to apply them? Anything you’ve learned that works really well for you? Your work is beautiful!!
G1bbs, for the 'concrete' areas I just roughed up the foam with a foam shaping tool and a drywall saw, then covered with grey-tinted monster mud for protection and texture. From there I dry brushed some lighter colors to bring out some highlights and cracks, and finally used a wash watered down back paint and another of watered down green to add stains and character. The moss is from a hobby store and has some paint on it to make them look less 'healthy'.

For the brick I just used a piece of charcoal to for in some of the bricks to match the look of our house, and sprayed sealer on those to keep it from being washed off.

Hope that helps!

15689852890763604356231778182816.jpg
15689852503886072422217929395665.jpg
15689852890763604356231778182816.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Awesome! Thanks! Very helpful.
Are you using an exterior latex paint for dry brushing? Or something else?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts