Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally cool enough here to get out and work in the garage again. Took the opportunity today to repair a fence panel my clumsy rear busted. Also drilled and tapped the wood inserts to the fencing so I can attach angle aluminum support brackets using thumb screws...to save on having to run wood screws to hold them together every year. I also added the brackets to attach the fence to my corner column, drilled a hole for my power cord for the lantern atop the column so I can plug it in easily (and created a foam plug to seal it), and fastened it all together to see how it worked out. I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

So not it's on to painting it all this week! I might end up setting up the fence by the end of the week. Unfortunately, I only have nine eight-foot panels of it this year along with one column (though plans are in the works to quickly build another if I get the material). Sure, that's some decent linear footage...but my front and side yard are LONG (we live on a nice long curve in our subdivision), so I'll need like 20 more fence panels to get the whole yard in the next year or two...minus a few if my wife lets me build those massive columns and gate I designed sooner rather than later.

I apologize for the poorly-lit photos...and the messy garage/work area!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Nice work. One day I am going to build a nice "wrought iron" fence to go around the cemetery. Right now I am building a dilapidated picket fence for my witches' yard. Got the post and rails up, now I have to start adding the pickets made from rough split pallet slats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work. One day I am going to build a nice "wrought iron" fence to go around the cemetery. Right now I am building a dilapidated picket fence for my witches' yard. Got the post and rails up, now I have to start adding the pickets made from rough split pallet slats.
Sweet! Post some pics when it's done! I'd like to check it out!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Very similar to my fence setup. Have you considered using rebar to hold up your fence sections? 1/2 PVC slides nicely over 3/8 rebar pounded in the ground. That is what I do, solid as a rock. No more fixing the fallen fence sections every other day. Also, if you need to make that many new sections, consider buying a brad/nail gun. Will save you hours and hours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very similar to my fence setup. Have you considered using rebar to hold up your fence sections? 1/2 PVC slides nicely over 3/8 rebar pounded in the ground. That is what I do, solid as a rock. No more fixing the fallen fence sections every other day. Also, if you need to make that many new sections, consider buying a brad/nail gun. Will save you hours and hours. View attachment 722951
Looks great! Love the look of your fence!

I was considering the rebar, but decided to go with 4' steel u-posts (which I'll paint black) pounded behind the fence, along with some black zip ties. They tend to be both strong and flexible. I'll be setting up the fence and column this week, so I'll see how it holds up with those. If it doesn't work out, I'll head down the street to get me that rebar.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My neighbor uses a lot of U posts as zombie supports, they are pretty awesome things.

I really like how you embedded the skull into the column so it's 2/3 sticking out & 1/3 buried inside. It looks good! I've cut a few of those in half for things & it's hard to get them looking right.

You are braver than I am in terms of building the fence. I went with "chain and big PVC posts". I did top each post with a corpsed skull and/or gargoyle for that something special ... but I will always think about the coulda-been fence. At least the columns. That set up looks really great, though, you should be proud (even if it's not as large as you wanted).

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
524 Posts
Looks great! Love the look of your fence!

I was considering the rebar, but decided to go with 4' steel u-posts (which I'll paint black) pounded behind the fence, along with some black zip ties. They tend to be both strong and flexible. I'll be setting up the fence and column this week, so I'll see how it holds up with those. If it doesn't work out, I'll head down the street to get me that rebar.

View attachment 722952
I use the T-Post for mine, I have 1 1/2" PVC Fence Posts at the end of the sections that slide right over the T-Post. Need to get some good pictures.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With all the free OSB I scored, I was able to frame, build, and knock out another cemetery column in one day!

Wired the lantern to a standard PC power cord, and fastened it to the top plate. The top plate is anchored down by four ¼"-20 bolts, and wood inserts set into the frame. That way if I need to take it off for any reason (to replace the lantern with say a decorative urn fastened to its own plate), it's a cinch.

It's ready to have extruded polystyrene glued to it with Liquid Nails. After that, I'll embed a skull into the face of it (only one - the other got two because it is a corner column), then paint it with several coats of base. I'll finish it with a coat with grit added, then give both columns one final coat.

After that, I'll dilute some black and white paint to start weather/water staining areas on them.

My wife got me some plastic creeping ivy vines, which I'll paint with a bit of brown spray paint to make them look like they are dead or dying...then hot glue strands of it creeping up the columns.

Sunday I will paint the fence sections.

Everything is coming along!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love the fence. I just did mine this year, first one - I used 1/2” PVC and 1X2’s...staked with rebar, holding well in AZ desert so far. Where did you get your finials for your fence top? I tried a foam version but don’t like it at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love the fence. I just did mine this year, first one - I used 1/2” PVC and 1X2’s...staked with rebar, holding well in AZ desert so far. Where did you get your finials for your fence top? I tried a foam version but don’t like it at all.
Thank you!

The finials I got from King Architectural Metals. If you have 1/2" PVC, you'll want to order the ones that fit 3/4" squares. You'll need a heat gun or some other heat source to soften your PVC, then you can force them on. I used a heat gun then after I jammed them on and let it cool, I fastened them with a 1" drywall screw from the back side.

Here's the link to the finials:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I really like the lights you are putting on top of your columns. You are so lucky to have the yard space to enlarge your haunt. I am having to move into the neighbors' yards as I have ran out of space in mine. LOL I am looking forward to seeing your set up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So...I ran out of full sheets of ½" extruded polystyrene. All I had left were scraps. I have gone over my Halloween budget this year, and my wife has finally put her foot down on my little trips to the hardware store...boy does that accumulate! :p

I did what I could with what I had left, and it didn't turn out too bad. However, this will be an opportunity to "rough up" one of these columns a bit...and with enough coats of paint and grit, you won't be able to see the seam lines. Hell...I might put a few jagged cracks along some and hot glue a few plastic painted ivy vines to hide any serious flaws.

In any case, all I have left to do with this column is to add the brackets on the sides for the fence to attach to, drill a hole in the back for the lantern cord, and hit this thing with a few coats of paint and grit. I'll follow up with water/weather staining and the vines...then I can FINALLY paint those fence sections and get it set up this week.

Glad the fence/columns portion of this is quickly coming to its conclusion for this season. I have plenty of other projects to finish before the week of Halloween.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
524 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts