Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I set my cemetery entrance up last night, along with the fence, and the red spotlights shining up to illuminate the entrance. Got up at 3:30am and no red lights are on! Went out to check the plugs and the spotlights had been pulled out of the sockets and left on the ground!!! MY FIRST NIGHT!!! I am so pissed right now I could spit.

I put mine up early so I can enjoy my set-up for more than a day or a week, (I do this for ME, not the neighbors or the kiddies) and someone feels they are entitled to just come along and 'f' everything up. GGGRRRrrrrrrr....

I bought 2 more red spotlights to replace the ones from last night. Now I need to think of some way to secure the stupid things against vandalism. The spotlight units that I have are the kind that are staked into the ground. I bought some black electrical tape and taped the bulbs into the units, but that isn't gonna keep them from just pulling them out of the ground. I need to find a way to secure them so they aren't so easily available...

Sorry, just had to vent! Hope everyone's having a nice weekend.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Heres what i do i take these lil booby trap novelty things and tie 10 together then tie strings to object then to a secured point so when its tugged on :) It makes fair amount of noise like i have said in the past for night time anyway....It will get someones attention in the middle of the night :) I keep them away from face b/c packet says to so. I dunno if thats legal or something you want to do in your area but a idea. I tie up lil bundles and one end goes to string then prop then the other side longer string goes to a secured spot in the yard. So 10 pops when tugged on :) The more you use the louder i pulled 3 at the same time with fingers and my ears were ringing for a few so they get pretty loud for what they are :D

Heres a pic Halloween Forum - Toetag's Album: Gear - Picture

·
Registered
916 Posts
One thing I would do is have your lights turn off earlier in the night. I have mine turn off at 10PM, anyone out after that hour is up to no good anyway. You dont want to draw their attention with lights. I have never had any problems with theft or vandals, but if I did I would invest in a Picoboo 105 prop controller and hook that up to lights and program in alarm sounds. When I turned everything else off, I turn the Picoboo105 on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i agree with you Homestead. I think putting in something that pops and makes noise may just encourage the people out at that time of night to perhaps do more damage to your props instead of just taking a light. Turn off the lights at bedtime. Not only will you not draw attention to your items, but you might save a few $$ in electricity.

It's a sad thing, but from the early days there has always been those who are out to either damage or steal holiday decor. If you know anyone in the local police department, you might let them know about the theft and ask if they could do a drive-by every once in a while. Sometimes just a visual of a local police car is enough to discourage.

If that don't work, there are always bear traps and pits filled with spikes...oh wait...maybe not a good idea. Scratch that!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put a sign up every year saying if anyone touches or vandalizes anything never again will I do halloween. I;m the only one in the nieghbor hood who really does anything fo halloween and everyone loves it so no one has ever done anything...........knock on wood

·
Registered
310 Posts
We had items either stolen or vandalized in our yard every year up until last year. The one thing that I changed was to leave a light on all night in the room that over looks the yard and adjusted the blinds over the window so that just tiny slits were visible. Then I cut out a life-size shape of a head and torso and propped it on a chair in front of the window. From the street you see the silhouette and it looks exactly like someone is sitting in front of the window watching. Every night I would move the chair to a different place in case someone was really paying attention. We had our all our stuff out for nearly 3 weeks and nothing was touched.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
That's a great idea, azdude and I had thought of doing that. Maybe I'll try it this year.
It's probably more effectinve than most people would think, because you know a vandal or thief won't try anything if in his mind he's not 100% positive that he's not being watched!

·
Registered
61 Posts
A good insurance policy is to just set up a digital video camera, if anything is stolen, you have evidence to bring to your local police.

Another good idea is to display signs that warn of video camera use, no crook will mess with that risk of detection.

But the most basic 'security' tool is to just build a fence, it looks good for Halloween, and if you install a gate, you can secure your haunt at night. :cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry to here that Jodi. I think the suggestion about the pop-its should work if you think it will wake you. We ran a Fireworks stand a few years ago and had someone sleep in the tent. We used the Snap-its that you throw on the ground and they pop. Laid them out around the tent flaps. Anyone coming in would grind them into the asphalt and they'd pop. They weren't real loud but in the middle of the night every noise is louder. I've used the pop-its before to scare friends opening things. It will work but you run the risk of ticking your thief off if you don't catch them. Good luck, and remember Dead thieves make great props, and police don't look to close at mounds of fresh dug dirt if you put a tombstone behind it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to here this. It was probably some kids just screwing around. I'm in highschool.......and I know kids these days, that obviously have nothing to do, go "unplugging" which is probably what happened to you. I guess kids think it's fun to steal and unplug lights.....really its incredibly stupid and disrespectful considering we put these displays on for kids to enjoy not so they can ruin them. As for avoiding this, I would just take your lights in each night........it isn't worth going through the trouble to secure them because whoever did it will come back and do the same thing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Use a metal light housing with a plastic stake in the ground and reverse the polarity of the 120 volts. The light wont care witch is positive or negative but I bet whoever grabs ahold of the light to steal it will. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
please don't laugh....but i staple all my lights and extras to my wooden picket fence...and i mean STAPLE..lol. then if some is trying extra hard to get somthing i release the hounds ...and the husband!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Typical punks. About 10 years ago I had about 1K worth of product stolen so needless to say I have not trusted anyone since. What I have done to resolve my issues with common thieves is as follows:

1. I put four single LED lights in four separate windows.
2. I put a couple signs that state this house is being monitored with security cameras, hence the single LED lights in each window.
3. I have made all of my props with easy to remove heads and remove them each night. Total time to remove and reinstall 10 heads, about 10 minutes.

I have not had a single incident since and at hardly any expense. Sometimes I think its more luck than anything, but I am hoping that this simple solution is warding off punks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had a truck that someone kept snapping off the antennae, well after 3 times of replacing it, I glued exacto blades down the length, next day, It was still there with blood all over my fender, never had another problem.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had a truck that someone kept snapping off the antennae, well after 3 times of replacing it, I glued exacto blades down the length, next day, It was still there with blood all over my fender, never had another problem.
Now thats what Im talking about. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I could also see this scenario playing out. A-Hole calls cops and states he got sliced up and you get arrested. Thats the problem with todays society the crooks are the ones protected by the law.:mad::mad::mad:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts