Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started these columns for a new fence a few weeks ago, could be months.... I loose track of time when Im building. The base is made from 1x3 covered in 1/4" plywood. The foam stones are glued on with foam adhesive. Painting will begin soon.
column_in_progress1.jpg column_in_progress2.jpg

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
This is beautiful.

I need complete details on how you made the individual stones for the pillar. Looks like chunks of 2 in. foam, but how did you get that texture? I love the flagstone-like surface you've created. Very cool.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I'm guessing the texture was created using sanding discs. Maybe also some spraying with an aerosol to break down the surface as well.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Taking a second look at the photos, all I can say is...

If I was making a mess like that in the kitchen, I'd probably end up quietly buried beneath a new shed in the back yard... :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I used a drill press with a wire wheel brush. It rips through the foam like butter, but makes a heck of a mess. I filled two 5 gallon buckets with pink dust. I used two differnet size foam 1.5" & 2". The one thing I found that helped was to draw out the stone patten on the column. The first 2-3 sides I made stones as I went. I found I wasted more foam and the patterns weren't realistic. A few other things I did. The back of both columns have hidden removable panels so I can access the inside. I also added 4"x4"x1.5" thick plywood blocks to attach the gate and fence. I hide these blocks by surrounding them with foam to break up the square shape. I also smeared some foam adhesive on the blocks then covered that with my amply supply of foam dust. Once dry you cant tell where the wood is. Tip on the gate side, if you plan to have functioning gate make sure no stones stick out further than your wood block.
cem_column_drillpress.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is very impressive! I'd love to have something like that on both sides of my driveway, come Halloween.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wow Discozombie, this is definitely original, I love the fact you worked on individual foam stones to make it surreal. The gates are perfect design for the pillars, Love love love it!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First off thanks to everyone for their kind comments.
I finally had time to get back to this project. I have the first column nearly done, I chose colors based on the stones native to this area, mainly sand stone. I did take some creative liberty to exaggerate to the color contrast. All that is left if adding a wash to give it that old weathered look, some moss etc.
column_in_progress3.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts