Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A continuation of this thread:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/82425-re-working-my-cemetery-columns.html

I finally finished my columns. They received trim, a new finish, and new tops, along with the plaques. I made a two piece top. The one permanantly affixed to the column, and a second piece which holds the gargoyles. These will be bolted to the main top on Halloween night and allows me to remove them to avoid breakage or vanadalism. The colums got a prime coat, two coats of gray dry lok and a watered down wash of dark gray to give them a streaky old look. They came out pretty fair. Thanks for looking.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely Stunning pieces! Great job!
Thanks!

Very nice, are those the gargoyles that you could get at Target?

Yup! Good eye! Target carried these for a couple years. I got the pair about 3 years ago and used them for various things but now they have a permanant home.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What materials do you use to make your tombstones and columns? Foam, wood, or fiberglass? Curious if you did a build thread on them. I saw your head stones as well. I saw some wood pieces that can be bought at craft and hardware stores. Thanks

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What materials do you use to make your tombstones and columns? Foam, wood, or fiberglass? Curious if you did a build thread on them. I saw your head stones as well. I saw some wood pieces that can be bought at craft and hardware stores. Thanks
The colums are just a 2x2 frame skinned in plywood. The tombstones in the pic are mostly store bought but I've since replaced most of them with homemade ones made from pink insualtion foam. I have a couple threads on them somewhere.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Veddy nice. Going 'ta look great in 'da grrraveYARD....
Thanks T! I really can't wait to put the whole ensemble together. Hopefully next week.

Your columns look great, jdubbya!
Thanks Crow! Appreciate it. This has been a year of refurbishing and detail for me. Haven't really bought much but am re-working some older props and scene elements to make them more realistic. The atmosphere get's the focus this year. Really don't need more props but just re-vamping some stuff.

·
The Squirrel Whisperer
1,157 Posts
jdubbya;752266' said:
Thanks Crow! Appreciate it. This has been a year of refurbishing and detail for me. Haven't really bought much but am re-working some older props and scene elements to make them more realistic. The atmosphere get's the focus this year. Really don't need more props but just re-vamping some stuff.
That's exactly where we're at with our Halloween display. Time to fine tune and elaborate on the stuff we already have. We haven't bought many new things this year either.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
Very nice rework jdub, the trim and plaques add a very nice touch! Wish those gargoyles were still around, nice solid pair you have there!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet Job. I wish I could paint I would make a pair. However a 3 year old could airbrush better then me.
No airbrushing for me either. I just dipped the paint brush in the dark gray and right into a cup of water, then slopped it on and let it run down, pool, splatter, etc.. After a minute or two, I hit some real wet dark spots with a dry paper towel and that was about it. My experience with drylok is that it allows for some unique light and shade when darker paint is applied. It almost ages itself, which is good for us artistically challenged folks.

Very nice rework jdub, the trim and plaques add a very nice touch! Wish those gargoyles were still around, nice solid pair you have there!

Thanks JA. The plaques were an afterthought and I just threw them together one evening using some scrap foam. Nice gargoyles are hard to find and I'm glad I had these to use.

·
Curator of the random
652 Posts
those must weight a ton! but they look awesome!

-BYH
Even if they don't, it wouldn't hurt if they did, as a fellow Eerie-ite I can attest to the fact that it can get mighty windy around here some times...

BTW, jdubbya, I am Soooooooooooooo jealous, as the only power tool I own is a drill, and have absolutely zero wood working skills to speak of...

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
You did a fine job on them! Post some pics when ya get them set up!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts