Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that I'm going to do some brick columns this year (with gates) to go with my existing fencing.

Does anyone know of plans available for columns? I'm going to attach pink foam to the outside to make bricks. I tend to be good at the painting, weathering, etc. but as far as the construction of the underneath structure, I am lacking.

I've seen so many great columns here (and online) but it's rare to find plans for construction. I'd love a step by step - like "Cut your 2x4's to 2 foot lengths and then use a #10 3" wood screw to secure it" etc. I'm not that great at improvising when it comes to building an underlying structure that will actually remain standing. I've had too many props fall over at the wrong time.

Thanks for any links of advice...

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
I built columns a couple years ago out of some cut and ripped down 2x4's, come corrugated plastic and scrap 2x6's. They ended up being 4ft tall and 1'x1'. If you do some creeping around on my profile look at some pics and threads I started you should be able to find them! However I didnt get nearly as detailed youre looking for, it would give you an idea maybe or a starting place!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Well if you want brick, here is a brick one:

I used the brick paneling from Lowes and cut it into 3 sections of 4ft by 32" . Then I cut those down into four 1 foot wide sections. So the 8' x 4' panel was cut down to 12 1' x 32" pieces. So now I can make 3 columns

Each column requires four 39" 2x4s
Two 12" 2x4s and two 15" 2x4s for the bottom
Cut the same for the top if you are going to permanently mount the top otherwise make the cuts 1/8 to 1/4 inch longer so the top easily slides on. Then whatever measurements you use for the top, cut a piece of plywood (I use OSB) to screw to the top 2x4s
You will also need a gargoyle or whatever else it is you want to have on top of your column.

To assemble:
Lay 2 of the 39" 2x4s parallel to each other so that they are a foot apart outside to outside. Then screw one of the foot long 2x4s to the bottom. Do the same for the other 39" boards

Lay a piece of paneling on the baords snugged up against the bottom 2x4. If you measured and cut perfectly, the out edge of the panel should line up with the outer edge of the 39" 2x4s. If not, there is always paint you can apply later. I just screw the panels down, but it may be better to glue and screw if you prefer. When done with this step, you should have two side with the bottom piece and a panel on each.

Now put the two sides on edge and line up one of the remaining panels with the panels on the two sides...screw, glue them in place. Then flip it over and do the other side. Now you should have panels on all four sides. Screw the remaining 15" 2x4s to the bottom. they should line up with the outer edges of the foot long ones. Again. this is Halloween and perfection is not a requirement. You should be able to stand the column up at this point.

Screw the four 2x4s together for the top. See if it will slide on over the 39" board and snug to top of panel. If it slides on and off easily, cut and put the piece of plywood on top. TAH-DUH!!! you have a column.

I then paint all the exposed wood. I have never done anything to waterproof the brick panel. Mine are stored in a shed so they are only exposed to weather a couple of weeks a year

I then use construction glue to glue my gargoyles to the top. I make the tops removable because of wear I store them . Also the glue isn't always permanent, so caring the top separately prevents some cussing down the road.

One thing I haven't done is put plywood on the bottom....if you do this, you then have a storage container.

My yard is not level, so I use a variety of thicknesses of scrap wood to wedge under the front or corners to get it level.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes the brick paneling is awesome I think you can other colors and stone patters. Im going to go look myself as
im building columns. The pink foam cutting into blocks is very time consuming.

·
Registered
681 Posts
How would these hold up in the rain beings they are paneling? I leave my display up for over 2 months so my worry would be of those getting wet and deteriorating. Does anyone know if they make these panels in plastic? I am going to make a new cemetery fence this year for our display.

·
Registered
766 Posts
With the foam you can take a heat gun to it and give it alot of texture.... I need an electric dremel to etch
the lines in foam im working on. I have an air one hooked to my compressor

·
Registered
306 Posts
I didn't want my columns heavy, so I had seen columns made out of priority mailboxes covered with foam... And that's what I did. Taped them shut. Gorilla glue n taped them together, glued \screwed a piece of wood backing in the top ones to be able to lkater hang my plaques...covered with foam, caulked, used a heat tool to make my stones, monster mud for stucco, painted....I needed them in two separate pieces each for storage, so there is 2 smaller pvc pipes coming out of the bottom piece that fits into 2larger pvc pieces that are embedded in the bottom of the top piece...I needed to stake these into my ground, so I turned a square shallow plastic planter tray upside down n screwed\glued into the bottom n then drilled holes around the edges to attach to ground using those large landscape staples (u shaped wire for holding down landscape fabric or plastic)...in hindsite, I would have put wood backing in the bottom cardboard box and covered that worth foam too n then attached to the plastic plant tray...I thought what I did was enough to keep water off but it got soggy because the bottom had no foam covering)...I used fishing line between the 2 pieces to hold from toppling over in high winds....they survived 2 months outside n a few storms....and are still good for next year :)

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
I made some columns last year. I also didn't want them to be too heavy, so I built them completely out of 1.5" foam board. I designed mine to hide my cemetery colored flood lights. So I built a top and a base with the vertical panels 3 sided.2 side peices I doubled up and cut a channel and glued in 1/2" PVC so I could slide the columns over rebar pounded into the ground like a Terra style tombstone. Worked great! High wind and rain, no problem. They stood in my yard for the entire month of October last year, and looked no worse for the wear when I put them away in November.
20150927_174107.jpg 20151003_120856.jpg 20151003_204747.jpg

·
Registered
766 Posts
Those look great!! Thats another option for me to make them out of foam. Im planning on putting my pillars out
only 30 minutes prior to showtime. Mine are made of cardboard boxes and painted. Im still working on them.
They are 42 inches tall and weighted by wood inside the bottom platform. When I finish one I will post a pic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used rapid set stucco patch from Home Depot. The trick is to use a glue/water mixture (instead of just water) to mix it up with. I also add some paint to the mixture to get a base color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts