Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built two cemetery columns that are smaller than most, due to the small amount of space I have to store them. They are only 12" square on the outside and about 9" on the inside - just to give you an idea of what we're talking about.

I've installed the rigid foam only on three sides of each column so I can wire up lighting and also figure out if I need to weigh them down inside somehow. The bottoms are open and my plan was to hammer in some rebar into the lawn and slip these over it but I'm not sure that will be enough. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Your idea is on the right track, but not quite complete. To finish it out:

1. securely mount a 24" length of PVC pipe on opposing inside corners. If you add some sort of bottom or floor to your columns, make sure there is an opening for the end of each PVC pipe.
2. take a piece of scrap plywood and drill holes through it matching your PVC posts. This will be a template. If you want a really good template, do this with 2 scraps of plywood and use some 2x4 scraps as a spacer to mount them to, making it much easier to keep them properly upright and parallel.
3. Use the template to drive two lengths of rebar in the ground, leaving a good 18 inches of the rebar protruding from the ground. The PVC pipe inside the column will both hold the column in place ad protect the interior of the column from possible damage by the rebar.
4. Lower the columns down over the rebar, so the rebar goes up the PVC pipes.

If you don't want to go through that trouble, then remember this: With a tall structure it isn't so much an issue of anchoring the bottom to the ground, but rather making sure you have a stiff supporting structure rising well above the ground, so you'll want to use long rebar that lets you leave 18-24 inches protruding above ground.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help! I agree that there needs to be something sturdy inside. I'm aiming to make sure the rebar that sticks out of the ground is at least 1/2 way up the column to really give it support. I didn't think to add the PVC pipe which I think will protect the inside but also really keep it in place. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts