Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have been pining for an arch to add to my small, but ever growing cemetery haunt since I very first saw one. Well I'm hoping this year is the year I finally get one! I am definitely not up to par to create my own with foam. So there goes that, but I was just gifted a white metal arch for my wedding... well I think instead it may be painted a flat black and it may get some faux rust. For the top, I was playing around with ideas in my head on how I could add a sign or the name of my "cemetery". I think maybe I will buy small cheap wood letters, paint them the same black, and add rust too, seal them, then somehow fix them to the top of the arch. Not fancy, but hey I got the arch for free. :)

Any tips or ideas that I could add. Also hoping to maybe add a couple sections of fencing on either side. Any tips on that?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My Mausoleum is made from a four horse, horse trailer (The "Four Horsemen!") but you can't tell that because all they can see is the front, and that is where I laid-up real, old, soft bricks as two columns then spanned the columns with more of those same old bricks, creating a brick arch.
For anybody who wants to try this, just don't get in a hurry.
Built the arch from wood, fasten it solidly, lay the bricks and mortar in place, leave the wooden arch there for maybe just two days, then carefully remove it in pieces.
The door on my Tomb is made from a huge, old electrical box, cut down, welded (by me) with large hinges made by me from 3/4 inch black steel pipe and a solid steel bar that fits inside the pipe.
I think people are surprised when they open the door and see so much :Room" ahead of them with just a red light coming up through the floor (through a steel grating as used for livestock to walk upon.
I had lost the bid on the horse trailer the year before, then the winner called me and asked if I still wanted it? It was delivered to my backyard for a total of $65.00.
I spun it around, cut off the axles, cut off the closed end. The ceiling was made from steel bars in a half-round design, so it has an arch to the ceiling itself.
Vines cover much of it even if someone got a side view of it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I got wood letters from the craft store for my arch, painted them black & zip tied them to the arch. Pretty easy project & it looks pretty great (simple, but effective)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you thought about going with creeping vine to be climbing your arch?

You can make it with the right color yarn (braid multiple strands together for the desired thickness) and get dollar store faux leaves to glue/attach to the vine.

Heck, if you did it right, maybe used an extra metal hanger or two to give it stability, you could make a vine arm that you pull across your arch when you are starting to close up for the night and don't want any more visitors.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You can make it with the right color yarn (braid multiple strands together for the desired thickness) and get dollar store faux leaves to glue/attach to the vine.

Heck, if you did it right, maybe used an extra metal hanger or two to give it stability, you could make a vine arm that you pull across your arch when you are starting to close up for the night and don't want any more visitors.
Wow good idea! Maybe I'll try that if I'm feeling adventurous. I'm scared of messing up on the bigger projects.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Eh, everything is a learning curve. The biggest piece of advice I can give is get started early.

That way if you mess something up you have time to figure out what went wrong and time to come up with a solution, instead of panicking at the encroaching holiday deadline.
(Plus the nice thing about string vines is that you can braid them together while watching tv/netflix and just braid braids together for thicker vines)

The second tip is: most people aren't paying attention. My haunts are smaller scale, simple things, but I have terrified teenagers because of how and where I set up my homemade static props and because I usually forget to really light things brightly, which just scares them even more because they have less of an idea of what to expect.

People will come to your haunt and see the arch and your sign and continue through. You don't have to be too worried about the details because most aren't going to sit and inspect, so don't hold yourself back by saying it will look bad or be messed up. It's fine to hold yourself to a higher standard, you use that learning curve to improve for next year if things aren't up to snuff for this one.

Doing something at all to make a haunt your own is what gains you the little "Nice job"s and "Cool build"s from the parents that take their ToTs out. There really isn't a way to mess up a horror decoration (unless you paint the whole thing neon pink. I'm pretty sure that might be a step in the wrong direction :p )

·
Registered
94 Posts
This just gave me an idea. Put like 3 or 3 wedding arches in a row and cover it uo and bam you got a little tunnel!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I built mine out of PVC..... 3/4 mine is 10 feet tall 5 1/2 feet wide. You can make it any height.
I painted it black and were going to cover it with fake vines and black roses......

IMG_20160720_090337872.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
day and night shots of solar lighted arch...lights are dim enough that they don't ruin the setting.

The arch then gets moved to the backyard gate for the rest of the year...without the "keep out" or cemetery signs.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just remember, black lettering will be hard to see in the dark.
Yes we bought glow in the dark paint and are going with that then paint black on top of it so you have the
glow in the dark on the edges, enough to see. Or..... you could always use a light to shine on your sign,

·
Registered
124 Posts

Easy way to make vines - you need some natural fiber rope (I used 1/2 inch sisal rope from Lowe's), a can of Great Stuff foam insulation, some nitrile gloves and spray paint.

Hang the rope so you can work on it easily. Obviously, put on the gloves, spray some foam insulation into your hands and work it onto the rope. Don't need to rub it in, just get a light coat onto the rope. Let it cure - it will give you some great texture. Spray paint as desired. If you want to speed up the curing process, you can spritz the applied foam with water. I made about 30 feet of pumpkin vine this way. to add leaves you can either hot glue them on or cut a slit and insert them into the weave of the rope.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts