Halloween Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Bloody amazing piece of work , looks like it came off a old universal movie set , outstanding work , really .

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
This really isn't that heavy. It is a lot of work. I used 3/8" ply wood on mine, probably should have used 1/2 or better but I did reinforce the back side in areas that might bend too much. I used a lot of bungee to hold it in place so that it will move easier with the wind. I put hooks in the brick to hold the bungee. I had to extend out the arch because of the measurements of the faux front. But it turned out to add something. I made the skulls out of a plastic piece I bought at Goodwill and cut the front out, using cooking spray I coated the inside and just used great stuff. It peels right out of the plastic mold. And what's even better is that there are flaws when it comes out so the skulls are far from perfect. They dry better when the air hits them and start to take on different shapes which is soooooo cool.

So I made a bunch of them because I've got to replace a tombstone that was stolen last year and maybe repair a few that might have been broken in a wind storm when a tree fell on my storage shed.

I know this is early but I've got a lot of work before Oct 1st when I really start putting stuff up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What I did was to take 2x2's and make a frame. I used a thin inexpensive plywood as the front. Then used the 1 inch foam at Home Depot to make what appears to be the pillars. I used a rasp and a deck screw to make the aging you see on the pillars that hold up the arch. Grey paint and a lot of creative ideas were used to make the skulls and the other items.

I probably should send in pix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would absolutely love pictures! Im tyring to start this project tomorrow and i need the sign to go all the way across my driveway which is over 16 feet, but i cant get one piece of board that long...hw do you put them together? Also how do you fasten the sign onto the pillars and how do yo stick them to the ground/weight them down?

·
Registered
116 Posts
First you must be very creative. Honestly, I use a few hook screws in the brick and a lot of small black bungie cord. I set the whole facade on the outside frame of my garage.

Most if not all plywood comes in 8x4 sheets so 16 feet is quite a huge undertaking. You can possibly use two separate pieces and merge them together. If you want it you can do it. How is up to you. I like to make my decorations light enough for me to put up every year. The two sides of the facade and the two columns weight about 35 lbs at the most.

For the two sides I basically did the same and created two frames with 2x2's and thin inexpensive plywood. Right after I made them I also put two coats of paint on each before applying the fake brick. For the brick I used a variety of foam. I had a few old foam ice chests which I carved up for bigger stones (brick). For the other brick I used the Home Depot pink foam.

After you cut out the bricks it's really got clean edges so you will have to use a wood rasp or something else to round off the edges. I used a wood screw or deck screw about 5inch and used the screw end to course out the really worn parts.

As far as the arch, I used plywood just like the tutorial. I think it weighs about 10 or 15 lbs at most. It's very flimbsy and you have to be somewhat careful as a nice steady wind will knock you and it off the ladder. I found these two gargolies made out of a very heavy plastic. I drilled a hole in the back of them (out of sight) big enough for a piece of 1/2 inch pvc to fit firmly in that hole. Before inserting the pvc I filled the cavity with great stuff and after I cleaned up the excess. This must be an over night thing.

The pvc was tall enough so that on both sides of the arch I put in semi circle electric wall attachments, two on each side, to slip over the PVC. This made the arch. Of course I got the plastic fence tops at a local fence shop.

The arch and the gargoyles are held up using bungee cord. There are about three small 1.4 inch diameter 6inch long bungees and a few eye screws in strategic places on the arch. I even reinforced a few places on the back of the arch so I could put eye screws without weakening the integrity of the plywood.

The gargoyles are held up by one of these bungees on each side so there are no more than 6 (if that many bungees) holding up the arch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am a Hobbyist for Halloween and will be making my first HALLOWEEN fence gate and arch. Your post has given me inspiration for the arch. I have to get help from my husband to use some power tools but he doesn't see my ideas and vision. Your mention of using lots of four letter words made me LOL!! I would like to know how you were able to connect te arch to the colums.
Thank you for sharing
Karin
Lake Worth FL.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Had someone ask what fonts were used. I used Ravenscroft and Wolfsbane. Both are free at most free font sites.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts