Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I loved your tutorial. It looks like something that I will have to give a try for my yard. I know I am looking to maybe put together a new arch this year, I can definitely see a arch like this design going up in my yard. great job and wonderful tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think someone already asked how to mount this. I want to also give this a try as I need a new arch for my decorations this year. I've got the materials.

The only problem that I went to sleep with last night after viewing the video was how to put it up. In my previous arch "GRAVEYARD" I used rebar stuck in the ground to give a nice base, two heavy mounted filed with sand Target Gargoyles (when they had them) fitted to the PVC (5/8"). The PVC goes up about 7' and I embedded PVC to slide over the other to make a sleeve. I did have to tie them down when the wind came up but it held pretty good. However using foam for the entire project didn't allow for a lot of creative cuts.

So my question to you is how did you mount them so your arch could be displayed?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think someone already asked how to mount this. I want to also give this a try as I need a new arch for my decorations this year. I've got the materials.

The only problem that I went to sleep with last night after viewing the video was how to put it up. In my previous arch "GRAVEYARD" I used rebar stuck in the ground to give a nice base, two heavy mounted filed with sand Target Gargoyles (when they had them) fitted to the PVC (5/8"). The PVC goes up about 7' and I embedded PVC to slide over the other to make a sleeve. I did have to tie them down when the wind came up but it held pretty good. However using foam for the entire project didn't allow for a lot of creative cuts.

So my question to you is how did you mount them so your arch could be displayed?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am building plywood columns for the arch. There are two L shaped brackets at each end of the arch where I can simply screw the arch into the columns.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thank, hope you post a new tutorial

I am building plywood columns for the arch. There are two L shaped brackets at each end of the arch where I can simply screw the arch into the columns.
Seems there is already a nice tutorial on how to make a nice cemetery column.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/123530-cemetery-columns.html

This looks good but I don't know if I want to go through all that. I really need something portable so I can strike it quick and store it after halloween. Maybe if I could figure out how to use or get some bed railing hooks to assemble the sides.

·
Registered
116 Posts
20140507_235844.jpg

You inspired me to work on a new arch. My own design but very much inspired by your work. The "S" is a windows font (Curlz MT). This is as far as I got today. I did the art work then most of the cuts. I've got to reinforce the top two "S"s due to the fact the wood is older and a bit brittle. I'm going to use plexiglass and glue it to the back then re-cut around them.

I used the scroll saw blades I had available, my recommendation is to use a fine tooth blade. Cuts better and smoother. I used a drimel to cut some of the tight spots but I don't recommend using this unless you're real strong and not afraid of loosing a finger or getting stabbed by the tool set at 6 speed.

Not funny and real scary. I'm going to try to cut out all the letters, hence why I traced them . I know this is a lot of cutting but I think it's worth it.

My grave yard is called, Ile Sainte Marie, without the "e" in Sainte. It's the worlds only pirate grave yard in Madagascar. Look it up. Nice grave stones there, one I really want to copy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here be the latest today. Definitely not finished. Completed the cuts, changed my mind about the plexi glass because I found these geckos I had cut out some years ago. They weren't doing anything and they seem to fit the curve of the "S" perfectly and I figured there would probably be geckos on the island of Madagascar.

I used KILs as the primer, since my wife isn't into my Halloween obsession I have to find simpler easier ways. This will probably be one of two coats. The back side isn't done yet. (no primer) I cut out all the letters. Went through three blades. Yes with plywood the blades seem to dull pretty easy and it's best to use a nice good new sharp blade. About 3 or 4 bucks will get you about 6 blades at HD.

Cutting out the letters made it really light so I think it will fit on my current posts. I may need to reinforce them with longer re-bar.

I'm not sure about the skull at this time, I have it cut out of foam and want to put it where the skull is but I'll have to wait and see how things go. I bought a rust-oleum Forged Hammered "Burnished amber" color. Never used it before but I think from the looks of it METAL right off the bat. Told you I'm lazy.

So all I will have to do at this point is to prime the letters and skull and then after the second coat of primer let things dry and for me to chill for a few hours before I go back. One thing I've learned is not to try to finish all at once. 20140508_135035.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's the latest, now to figure out how to mount this thing. It's a lot lighter since I carved out all the letters. However, what I didn't think through was the mounting brackets for my columns.

20131016_130451.jpg

As you can see from the photo, This is my old arch. It was made from cheap foam (I mean the real cheap stuff). It was time to make a change, however I don't want to change the columns. So I need to figure out a way to allow the same PVC to attach to he back of the new arch to fit onto the old arches. Will probably take some time and a lot of four letter words but I think I've got a plan.

So here is the almost finished product. I may make some changes yet.

20140509_121634.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Fantastic Papa K!! Really has come along beautifully. I really like font and scroll work too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't take all the credit, you were the big inspiration. But thanks for the complement. I was working on the columns but was interrupted by a huge storm that destroyed the shed all my Halloween stuff was stored in. Thankfully I think the only damage was to a steel table, but not all is over. In the middle of all this I caught a flu bug and haven't been able to go through all the stuff to see what has and what hasn't been damaged, plus I had to drive 6.5 hours to pick up my daughter from law school to take her shopping for a new suit and get her packed and ready to go 2.5 hours for her summer internship. And to add to the cherry on top of my wonderful mixture I had to turn down a trip to Hawaii. Boy life is great sometimes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Absolutely awesome! Just added this to my list of props to build for 2014. One change I will make - have the husband prime the wood instead...hehe :D

21 - 40 of 56 Posts