Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my cemetary caretaker he is very much influenced by Dead Spider's. I used a mix of normal paper mache, celluclay and creative paper clay.

THE HEAD

the base for his head just a cheap foam scull. I split cut it with an exacto.

I also hollowed his sockets a little more for the eyeballs(not pictured).

His eyeballs are Fimo Clay formed to fit the sockets painted.

Covered him in mache and fit glued the eyes in

His lower jaw has a tongue and teeth made from paper clay, painted and sealed for a glossy finish. I also bulit his jaw up with celluclay

He recieved upper teeth as well and then he was glued and more mache built with celluclay and regular paper mache.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The body is PVC
Iused a heat gun to curve it and give him movement.

I forgot to take pictures but his body is built up. Shaped Chicken wire stuffed it with crumpled news paper for his torso. I used old pool noodles to build up the arms and legs and lots of layers news paper and old fasioned paper mache until he is thick and hard as a rock.

then I attached the head and built up the neck with crumbled news paper covered with a couple layers of mache then building up with celluclay

I also made him some ears out of foil and clay over them. This is when his face started getting details using paper clay.

When done I sealed the whole thing with drylock several times.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Hands

I beleive there are more detailed instrutions for hands on the forum.
Drilled holes in pvc for wires to go through, used straws for all the joints.

Formed them how I wanted and taped

Then I started building up with a couple layers paper mache and mache pulp

Then I added a connector and a longer piece of pvc for the arm.

lots of layers I always start with a good foundation of about 3 layers of Paper Mache then I start bulding layers with celluclay or paper pulp.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I painted him with a $5 grayish tan house paint I found on the discount table at lowes.

I added some hair (just from an old wig) but never finished.

His jacket I found at good will for $5
the shirt is a cut up old longsleave T my husband was throwing out. His pants I made with a black sheet. I just stapled them together until the looked like pants.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That looks absolutely fantastic!!

How long did it take in total to make, and does the foam skull stay inside the head, or do you just use it to form the papier mache and then remove the foam when the mache has set?

I know what I'm going to start working on!!!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the foam skull stays inside. He took a couple months just beacause of all the parts, mache layers, and dry time between. I actually didn't finish his legs in time so I ended wrapping batting to fill them out better.

I used rebar staked in the ground and balck zipties around his legs to secure him but he still felt a little top heavy because he lunges forward so much. So I used a stake in the ground and Wire around his waist (under his cloths) to better secure him.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
Your tutorial was really detailed. I learned a lot. Thank You!
And your caretaker is great.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thankyou Everyone

I used Gorilla Glue to put the jaw back on and the mache'd over it. Attaching the head I just drilled a hole through the foam skull and fit it on his PVC neck and Gorilla glued it. I toyed with position a bit before glueing to get it the exact way I wanted.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you for sharing, good job

Makes my Grim Reaper look like a dime store toy. I have always admired someone who starts off with simple things like news paper, straws and clay, some old paint and makes a masterpiece! I really love how people here reuse items that might normally be thrown away. Thank You and good job! :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all again for the kudos.
As for rain we didn't get any.. but I sealed him with Drylok Waterproofer 3 times and then a couple coats of outdoor house paint. So he can take it but his cloths are fabric so they would get wet. Could always replace the lantern with an umbrella I suppose. But no if we ever get rain again here in the desart... I'd probably take him in just because it so easy to.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
51 Participants
Mizerella
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing