Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and starting to acquire parts for a cauldron creep.
I have skeletons, motors, lights etc.... but I am missing a suitable cauldron.
I really want to fill it with water and use a large ultrasonic fogger.

I have been through turning a plastic tub into a cauldron but we have a ton of rain and I am not sure it would hold up well enough.

Anyone have any suggestions / leads on a large plastic cauldron?

At this point plan b is a half wine barrel.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would be very cautious in mixing an electric motor for the stirring action with real water, including the water vapor from a mister. How are you planning on driving the "creep's" stirring action, with real water in the cauldron?

I have made a cauldron creep and use chilled fog outdoors and dry ice inside the house, to avoid setting off smoke detectors.
My creep is visible on the right in this photo from 4 years ago.

Eric

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is an outdoor creep using a similar motor I use for my breathing graves and proper underwater lights, and the whole thing is powered via GFCI so I expect not to have electrical problems.

I am thinking about encasing the mechanics of the unit in an ABS tube with a stuffing box of some sort to seal the assembly.
The thought being that the top of the ABS will be above the water line keeping the motor out of the water.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:confused:I tend to agree with Wolfbeard. I use fog piped into my cauldron...I think most people do. Actually filling it with fluid may be hard to figure out how to get him to stir. :eek: I used an old copper fountain for my cauldron. It was one I had wood stored in, so it was actually repurposing something old that I had around.

This holds the cauldron and provides direction for the fog.

And Victor, doing his thing...click on him to see him stir......;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a beautiful cauldron. :)
It never occurred to me to look for fountain stuff, perhaps small outdoor pond bits....

I really do appreciate the feedback from both of you, and I will return here to let you say told you so if it comes to that.
(wouldn't be the first time one of my left field builds didn't work out)

I have 3 smoke machines,a chiller and pipe fog to a number of my props but I have a specific vision for this one that really requires the cauldron be filled with water. I am still considering a sealed shaft drive allowing the motor to remain outside the cauldron and the bones to be right on the water line, in addition to a sealed drive box inside the cauldron.

I am having trouble settling on a design without having a cauldron to play with.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Someone posted details a few months ago of their CC with a plexiglass top that made it look like the cauldron was full of liquid. Looked much simpler and more effective than actually filling it with water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts