Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever made a Cauldron Creep without a Creep? Here is why I am asking ... I made a severed hand and briefly stuck it on a piece of PVC standing in the kitchen while I got a saw. And it stuck there. Looking weird and creepy.

So I was thinking, what if my witch is standing next to a cauldron that is stirring itself? With a severed hand helping with the work. Crazy? In the cauldron creep the creep helps stabilize the stir stick. So I would need to figure out a way to add stability without those 2 arms. If you have seen anything like this please let me know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Great idea. Maybe a propeller-like attachment on a wiper motor, with the stick affixed to one side of the crosspiece and a counter weight, if needed, attached to the other.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Great idea. Maybe a propeller-like attachment on a wiper motor, with the stick affixed to one side of the crosspiece and a counter weight, if needed, attached to the other.
To add on to that idea. You could use fishing line attached to the top handle of the broom/stirring stick and connect it to the left and right. Attach them through pullies or eye bolt at opposite side. Like if you raised your arms straight out in a "T" with you being the stick and your hands being the attachment points. Attach weights to the end of the lines to create balance with the stick. As the motor turns the base of the stirrer, the top would remain centered-ish. This could create a more natural looking stir.

I'm hacking the idea from VanOaksPropFactory aka @Dminor ...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are both excellent ideas - using a counter weight to balance the stick, and using a fishing line to help keep the top of the stick more stable. This set up will be under a maple tree (high branches) so I can definitely use that to help provide vertical assistance.

Thank you!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a look at our Swaying Zombie mechanism. It’s simple and reliable. It will keep the stick from turning without any outside assistance and Is easy to duplicate on your own. If I can be of any assistance, let me know. (y) Animated Swaying Zombie (Basic Kit)
Great idea, I will measure the depth of my cauldron and see if I can fit something like that in it (its on the shallow side, it is actually a very wide urn planter but it's metal and heavy so it makes a good base).

I have a ton of your PVC fittings that helped make up 6 zombies in the yard. My FIL thought they would be pretty neat for building a winter boat cover (a frame under the tarp) but then he decided to just get the boat wrapped professionally. I love those fittings! So much flexibility in limb positioning with them.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,754 Posts
The geometry of that mechanism can be altered by shortening the uprights. The shorter the uprights the wider the rotation of the stick at the opposite end. To hide it in its current form you’d need about 12 inches of depth in your cauldron.

Thanks, I am glad to hear you like our hardware!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
Don't know if it would work, but a simple disk, with the motor shaft in the center, the bottom of the stick secured to the edge oof the disk and the top of the stick over the motor shaft should work to get the illusion of the stick stirring and the top staying somewhat stationary. Now getting the hand to not follow is the trick. Might be able to mount it on some bearings and weight one side of it so gravity keeps it stationary around the stick.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Should be simple. Most cauldron creeps aren't actually stirred by the creep, but by the cauldron with a wiper motor in the bottom of the pot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Should be simple. Most cauldron creeps aren't actually stirred by the creep, but by the cauldron with a wiper motor in the bottom of the pot.
Your right about the motor stirring the cauldron, that mechanism is pretty simple. The complicated part with this design is having a hand or two attached to the mixing stick and keeping the wrist portion of the hand toward the witch at all times while supporting the weight. The swaying zombie approach is probably the simplest, but the issue is the shaft is at an angle and it would be difficult to keep the wrist or arm facing the witch. I would recommend a turntable or lazy susan as Oak Lane Cemetery alluded to at the bottom of the cauldron attached to a wiper motor. I like to cannibalize old bicycle parts; attaching a pole to the petal shaft would probably be perfect for this project and be durable too. You could add a matching sprocket to a wiper motor and have a nice chain driven mechanism.

To keep the wrists towards the witch, I would attach the hands to a spinning shaft on the stirring pole. I would then make a tee at the bottom of the spinning pole, about 2 to 3 inches on each side and attach a bungee cord to each side and attach the other side to the cauldron where the witch is facing it. As the stick is spinning around, the bungee cords should pull and keep the wrist or arm facing the witch. If it is too much of a stretch for the bungee cords, you can use a counterbalance system instead with string and weights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone ever made a Cauldron Creep without a Creep? Here is why I am asking ... I made a severed hand and briefly stuck it on a piece of PVC standing in the kitchen while I got a saw. And it stuck there. Looking weird and creepy.

So I was thinking, what if my witch is standing next to a cauldron that is stirring itself? With a severed hand helping with the work. Crazy? In the cauldron creep the creep helps stabilize the stir stick. So I would need to figure out a way to add stability without those 2 arms. If you have seen anything like this please let me know.
Here is one I did

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts