Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I'm doing my first haunt this year and am building a cauldron creep along with a few witches and whatnot. Thanks to these forums I've l;earned how to make the frames but I haven't seen any how-to's on making the clothing/cloaks. I don't know how to sew, so the easiest methods would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Gil - I have made a few things for large figures and I found the easiest way (but probably not the best) is to cut a general pattern of what you want, simply staple the seams and then turn it inside out (so the seems are inside and don't show the staples) - for a basic cloak or robe type clothing, that has worked pretty well.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
I hot glued pieces of black landscape fabric where I wanted for a base and general coverage, then glued hunks of freaky fabric over that for detail. No pattern cutting or sewing involved, just cut and glue, but then again I didn't have a pvc frame to worry about hiding.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Honestly, when I made my witch, I used a costume from Spirit and draped Freaky Fabric over it. I definitely think it could look better, but I really don't know what to do with it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Same here for my witch.
Seems like what we need is something like the TV show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but for Halloween props. Post a picture of your poorly-dressed prop, and someone with a wicked fashion sense will tell you how to dress it. A "buy/make this" list would be immensely useful. Even just a basic kit or two for each general monster type (witch, zombie, etc.) would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I can not take credit for this! I dressed it this year, but in the clothes that cyclone jack gave me that he and his wife put together when he used his stirring witch. Here are two shots of her in my living area as I dressed her. I will get more in the morning if needed.

They cut the legs off a pair of black work slacks and sort of shredded the bottoms and then slid one on each arm. Then the rest of her is black material just draped around her top part of the body. A womans black skirt was cut down a seam and also made ragged on the bottom and draped around for the skirt bottom. Then they used creepy cloth to drape and add layers and a shawl look. Again, I can get better photos in the morning. It is awesome looking. They even made the hat for her. I think you can still see the styrofoam in these pictures but it was as I was trying to set her up.

You can search You Tube for his video that shows the making of his stirring witch. He even has one that he calls naked that shows the frame without the clothes in case you need to the setup. I am also pretty sure that if you search on her that it is on the tutorials or how tos.

He helped me make my frame and then we made a trade for the clothes and his huge cauldron. Love cyclone jack and his wifey!!!!
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
11889517_10153466080690991_6143501352981433264_n.jpg
IMG_1797.JPG
And this is my fire. It is just the first time of working on it. It looks better now. It is a grapevine wreath with lights under it. The cauldron has a wiper motor in it and green rope lights. The witch's head bobs up and down using a reindeer motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts