Halloween Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking a stroll on the Internet looking for interesting Halloween info when I came across this site. These catacombs have over 8,000 bodies on walls in various states of decay and mummification. The person took detailed photos and even a video. There are some very nice examples of mummified remains. For those that like to do corpsing, this should give you a lot of ideas. It's pretty creepy. For those that can't handle looking at real skeletal remains, I would highly suggest not checking out this link. http://palermo.for91days.com/tag/rosalia-lombardo/

G

·
Holy cow. On one hand, those corpses are all someone's loved one, a human that lived and died and is not to be feared.

But, that is JUST super creepy and scary. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
At least the first video was a good one to use to show to someone that you were trying to convince them to sign up to be cremated when they died.
A burst of flame eliminates being bug food for the next 200 years!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
At least the first video was a good one to use to show to someone that you were trying to convince them to sign up to be cremated when they died.
A burst of flame eliminates being bug food for the next 200 years!
My thoughts exactly.

If those were the graves of the wealthy & the monks, it makes you wonder what they did with the poor?

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
This would be so amazing to visit. Great pictures on that website! There's a show called "Out of Egypt" that did a cool episode here but I couldn't find it on youtube...

·
Registered
311 Posts
My thoughts exactly.

If those were the graves of the wealthy & the monks, it makes you wonder what they did with the poor?
This is exactly what I was thinking! but WOW it's crazy to see all of the different ways that the body decomposes. Very creepy (especially seeing the babies, it kind freaks you out a bit) very real, and unique and a place that I would love to visit. Great references for how to make your corpses more life like! Thank you for sharing :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've never found them odd. Then again, I suppose a different culture and different upbringing will change your perceptions on such things.

Should any of you ever get the chance to visit, I would strongly suggest doing so. In recent years, Rosalia Lombardo has become incredibly famous and people often visit this particular site just so see her.

Some people (mostly Americans, especially South America) are especially afraid of the deceased. This is a cultural thing as you have no natural fear of the dead, only a fear of them that you were taught to have from your childhood by people telling you that they were frightening. Being raised into the industry and seeing them on a daily basis, then accepting position and duty into that job itself prevented me from ever having any opportunity to learn to be afraid of or uneasy about the dead. Death is a natural part of life and so much as being intimidating, I certainly feel I am in more danger around living people than the dead. Most people are harmless, of course (not that I mind a good fight), but the dead...especially so.

Seeing them in the Catacombs (Any catacombs) is less to make me uneasy by them. It is in fact rather peaceful, as it is not as if they were simply scattered there and lay where they died, to rot away forevermore. Instead, they were cared for in death and selectively placed and positioned throughout.

Of course, there ARE places where the dead are just left where they die. Not forgotten, but merely left there, often used as landmarks from then on by the next people to travel the area. Several deserts, forests or mountains have such gruesome "roadmaps" The most notable of such places is Mount Everest, which has just over two-hundred documented corpses littering the mountain. Anyone climbing the mountain will see them and many would-be adventurers are not mentally prepared for this. Along thin walkways around the mountain, they can often be found and it is typical for climbers to roll them over the edge, both to make it safer to walk by and to keep them out of view of other climbers. This does not work so well, as it causes piles of them in some areas. They tend to be very well preserved, given the environment (Even Sir George Mallory, who has been up there since 1924). Some are mummified slightly, due to the cold temperatures and harsh wind. Some climbers have even come across living people, whom they had no possible way of helping and have had to leave them to die there. Other climbers have walked right by people who were in need of help, as they mistook them for other well-known bodies in the area.

This, many climbers agree, is the true challenge of conquering Mount Everest.

Another place of relative interest would be Jukai, the "Sea of Green" at Aokigahara in Japan. The United States often beats Japan out on many things. One of them is Suicides. The most popular Suicide destination on the planet is of course The Golden Gate Bridge. However, though lesser known, often held as more noteworthy is Jukai in Japan, which comes in second. So many people wander through that forest and starve to death or hang themselves that the government no longer collects the bodies (mere Skeletons by the time most are found). It is difficult to even park there (as it is a naturally beautiful forest and popular attraction in it's own right) because of all of the abandoned cars there. People come from around Japan and the world as a whole, to kill themselves there. The skeletons are collected by a group of volunteers and must be held in a storage room. The volunteers then draw straws and the loser, must remain in that room overnight, as they believe someone must be in that room every night, or the corpses and skeletons, if left alone, will cry out in sorrow through the night. A place made famous centuries ago by it's serene beauty not matched by much of the world, yet beyond the surface lies a dark reminder of fragile, mortal existence.

While the Catacombs display honour in death, an immense care for the fallen there and a strong devotion to Faith, Everest displays the mortality of humanity and the dedication some offer to achieving an honourable place in history at any cost, Jukai offers to paint a portrait of the sadness of mortality and the potential emotional frailty of humanity as a whole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts