Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has had these two cats for years without any problems. Now it seems they think the litter box is only for solids. Liquids go everywhere else. Anyone know how to help change this behavior?
Thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Call the vet immediately. They could have some kind of infection that needs to be addressed. If there's pain or discomfort when they urinate oftentimes they associate it with the litter box and they'll look for alternative places to go. I learned this the hard way with my own kitty. She wasn't pooing in her box and I thought she's just being weird and found out she had a huge tumor and there was nothing to be done for her. Call the vet and schedule a check up.

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
Also, make sure the box is kept real clean, or hasn't been moved, they get weird that way, or if they feel threatened of something by the box, if they don't like the type of litter, that can be a issue too, when seeing at the vet about medical issues, ask the vet about how to change the behavior, it can be several different possiblilities Good luck!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Liquids elsewhere could mean a lot of different things... if they're male cats and not neutered, they're just marking their territory. Male cats don't do this 'till they're a bit older. If you recently got a new pet, it might be jealousy or more territory marking. If they're already "fixed", then it could be a bladder problem...

Since it's BOTH cats going nuts at the same time, it's more likely to be something they're both doing-- if it's an illness, then it's contagious and should be treat-able (if that's the case). It could also be associated with food.... or, as with some cats, if you're not cleaning the litter box frequently enough they might go somewhere else. Clean the box regularly and check for things out of the ordinary when you do.

Since they're still using the box part of the time, it might not be something you need to take them to the vet for... but you might want to "just in case".

·
Registered
574 Posts
If the vet gives them the all clear and they are still doing it, you could try things like Feliway spray which is supposed to help stop peeing in unwanted places. There is also a plug in diffuser that does the same thing. There is a litter called Cat Attract that could help in getting them back into the box. It seems to work pretty well, I use it every so often when the kitties stray from the box too much or I move the box somewhere new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts