Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help guide me in the right direction on where to go to get casting latex? I prefer to go to a brick and morter store than purchase online. Also a decent one thats not too expensive. Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depending how big you want the piece to be, you can make great silicone molds for cheap from just silicone bought from a DIY store and corn starch.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here is a link to a guy casting latex. All of the material he is using can be bought at a crafts store ( Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc) and or a hardware store, or even walmart. the most expensive thing will be the liquid latex. This mold builder stuff is not really made for casting, but it would work ok for a few things. I wouldn't try to make masks with it though. I would go to the link lilibat gave and try to find a local retailer for the type of latex used for masks. I haven't watched the video since I bookmarked it so I don't remember what kind of plaster he is using. I can say though from personal experience making molds for casting liquid clay ( called slip casting) if you don't care about how long the mold lasts or how durable it is then you should use the kind of plaster available at hardware stores (plaster of paris). As far as art and craft applications it is only good for making waste molds ( molds that will be used once and are destroyed in the process of de-molding) or molds that are solid molds that you only need a few castings from. This plaster tends to develop a dusty film on it and will wear away quickly ( relatively quickly, this guy could get a lot of castings from his mold). I would never cast anything important ( like a finished sculpture) in plaster of paris. If you want a durable, long lasting plaster mold you should use hydrocal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtOFKvNP6rE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts