Halloween Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
I was playing around with this tonight- I need some grout lines, as well as a couple plaques w/ carved lettering. I tried a number of different methods, but not completely convinced I like ANY of them.

The spray paint method, I just don't get. I taped off grout lines, then tested the spray paint at different distances from the foam. The further away, the more shallow the grout line is. HOWEVER- no matter how close/far, it didn't leave CLEAN lines at all. The paint eats away at the edges, leaving a very rough line.

I took an exacto and cut the lines into the foam, then tried the spray paint- same results, essentially. It did help pull the cut edges away from the non-painted edges, but it still wasn't clean.

I tried using a wood burner- and unless you have PERFECT hand writing, it won't look like a professional carving job on any lettering/plaques/signs/tombstones.

I also tried using the Dremel for grout lines. That leaves very clean edges, as you would expect from a router. Almost TOO clean. It looked too perfect.

I then tried spray paint into the bottom of the dremel grout lines- this actually looked half decent to me. It gave a realistic grout texture, but with a cleaner line.

How do you guys letter your tombstones/plaques and get them to look soo dang good? How close are you spraying the spray paint to the foam?

Thoughts??? Ideas???

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh- ok, I"ll give that a shot and see how it turns out. I also think that maybe just going with a more shallow engraving is the way to go- especially when you're going to paint the lettering black anyways... maybe it doesn't have to be carved as deep?

Tried it- it takes longer, but you're right- definitely a much better effect. Do you do the same thing with your grout lines, too?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.