Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a video I did a couple years ago showing how to carve a Funkin (artificial carvable pumpkins) using a Dremel tool. In my opinion, Funkins are the BEST artificial pumpkins on the market! Nobody else comes close. They are used in LOTS of major theme parks including Disneyland! They are easy to carve, and look MUCH more realistic than the ones by Gemmy.

NOTE: I was NOT asked to do this video, nor was I compensated by Funkins in any way.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Very cool. Ive been tempted to use arty pumpkins especially since the kids around here smashed all my pumpkins last year (they wern't even carved yet)

·
Evil Wizard
2,145 Posts
how do these pumpkins work if you don't go completely through the pumpkin? Like this:

will these funkins still work?
If you mean, will those patterns illuminate? Don't think so, as the walls of the Funkins are rather thick. I've always done the carve-out patterns, so I've no experience with the shaded-patterns though. Perhaps if you shave a Funkin down deep enough, then the light can still pass through?

But in the image above it looks like just the outermost layer of pumpkin skin has been shaved off.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
Yeah Funkins are at least an inch thick & thicker in some spots. You'd have to go pretty deep to get any illumination from them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've NEVER seen a Funkin with a wall over 1" thick. And I've carved around 80 of them in differing sizes. They generally are 1/2"-3/4" thick. They have updated the process of making their Funkins, so the walls are more uniform and around 3/4" thick.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Need advice on doing a funkin mask... What tips do u have?
You mean like this?.... P1050128.jpg

Get a Funkin big enough for your enormous head. (ha ha) Cut a hole in the bottom so your head can fit through (you'll be surprised at how much you have to carve off. Seriously!) Carve a face in it.

To make it so it doesn't wobble around, glue some foam rubber pieces to the inside top to create a sort of cradle for your head. This will make it so you can turn your head and look up and down without having to constantly hold onto it or readjust it.

Get some gray or black sheer cloth and glue it inside over the face you carved. Don't put it right up against it, because it will lose some depth to it.

Decorate it with some fake ivy or whatever you want! I'm adding some burlap around the bottom hole this year to help hide my neck more.

Good luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
I've NEVER seen a Funkin with a wall over 1" thick. And I've carved around 80 of them in differing sizes. They generally are 1/2"-3/4" thick. They have updated the process of making their Funkins, so the walls are more uniform and around 3/4" thick.
REALLY?!?! This is awesome news IMHO! The ones I have are that thick & thicker in certain spots, but they're older so I may have to invest in a few newer ones. I LOVELOVELOVE their look but was turned off by that weird thickness.

We're going to World Market with a side trip to AC Moore this weekend so I will definitely check them out, thanks!!! Yet another reason to Iove this forum, so much useful & current info!!

BTW, awesome use of a Funkin too!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
how do these pumpkins work if you don't go completely through the pumpkin? Like this:

will these funkins still work?
I prefer the Michaels pumpkins because I do alot of shaved designs. The Michaels pumpkins are more uniform in thickness and the light shines thru when you shave the skin. My avatar is a Michaels pumpkin that's both shaved and cut thru. Try different bits, the one used to "shave" the pumpkin is just a matter of preference.

·
Evil Wizard
2,145 Posts
REALLY?!?! This is awesome news IMHO! The ones I have are that thick & thicker in certain spots, but they're older so I may have to invest in a few newer ones. I LOVELOVELOVE their look but was turned off by that weird thickness.
Had that problem with one of the small (4 or 5-inch) Funkins. Had drawn a circle underneath and was carving it out with the VersaTool hot knife, and in a couple of spots met a lot of resistance. Finally cut through enough that I could lift the flap that I'd cut without breaking it, and looked inside. There were enormous globs of foam that had dripped down the sides in several spots. At least 1 or 2-inches thick in places, and extending partway up the walls too.

Never experienced that problem with any of the larger Funkins though.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Newb question, is Funkin the slang for pumpkin? That looked awefully clean to be real...where are these Funkins availible? Lastly, is that just a regular drill bit your using? Totally gonna start using this method now. The dremmel won't clog if using this method on a real guts-and-all pumpkin will it? Thanks!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Newb question, is Funkin the slang for pumpkin? That looked awefully clean to be real...where are these Funkins availible? Lastly, is that just a regular drill bit your using? Totally gonna start using this method now. The dremmel won't clog if using this method on a real guts-and-all pumpkin will it? Thanks!!
Watch the video again. I clearly explain that these are FOAM pumpkins. I also clearly explain what type of bit I'm using.

Funkins..... www.funkins.com

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
I find the Michaels (Gemmy? Nobody's ever verified this but it seems likely) pumpkins easier to carve because of the thinner walls and more uniform (smooth) surface, but the Funkins are definitely way more realistic. I lightly splatter brush the Michaels ones with a lighter shade of orange or dull yellow to give it a more realistic skin pattern. I carve with a Creative Woodburner tool with an X-Acto style #11 blade attachment. Unfortunately the screw-in blades don't fit most standard screw-type soldering irons, you have to buy the Creative Woodburner tool. I got the cheaper version with a half off coupon so it was only about $6 + $3 for the blades. I don't think the blade is long enough to cut through a Funkin. I leave mine uncarved, and they stay out until Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good video. The music is a great touch. Did you steal my gloves?? I've got some taped up identical!

Do you know if there is anywhere to get these cheaper than Michaels?
They DO NOT sell Funkins at Michaels! Go to the Funkins web site to see where they are sold. http://www.funkins.com/TheFunkinPatch/

I find the Michaels (Gemmy? Nobody's ever verified this but it seems likely) pumpkins easier to carve because of the thinner walls and more uniform (smooth) surface, but the Funkins are definitely way more realistic. I lightly splatter brush the Michaels ones with a lighter shade of orange or dull yellow to give it a more realistic skin pattern. I carve with a Creative Woodburner tool with an X-Acto style #11 blade attachment. Unfortunately the screw-in blades don't fit most standard screw-type soldering irons, you have to buy the Creative Woodburner tool. I got the cheaper version with a half off coupon so it was only about $6 + $3 for the blades. I don't think the blade is long enough to cut through a Funkin. I leave mine uncarved, and they stay out until Thanksgiving.

Yes. Michaels sells ONLY the Gemmy artificial pumpkins. They are NOT Funkins. I was told by the Funkins President that they have a better manufacturing process this year, and the walls will be more uniform in thickness.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts