Halloween Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Did the pickling work?
Yes. Just the Cthulhu idea did not work out at all, thanks to the humidity turning the carved pieces of it to mush in record time, so they had to come up with another centerpiece.

It's a different show next Tuesday, My Big Fat GEEK Wedding. It's SyFys month of firsts. There are 3 new shows debuting on the Tuesday ten o'clock slot. You can go to the SyFy website and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. From what I understand, the voting and ratings will determine what show will actually get picked up.
Really? I thought that this pilot episode was really good and was looking forward to their continuing adventures. I would think that it should be a guaranteed series, hopefully, but people are so fickle that nothing is certain, I guess.

·
Registered
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The show was billed as a "Special" so I was surprised so many thought it was a new series. I think the third special is the Jim Henson workshop one. Didn't realize until they ran the little promo blub about letting them know if you liked the show that it was their intent to run with one of the three as a series. Do they make it so that you have to provide personal info to "cast" a vote? If so, I won't be voting. Hate that tactic by companies to gain info on you to I'm sure ultimately sell or amass.

I been behind on watching TV shows but did get a chance to see Carvers the other night. I thought it was OK and just am amazed at their sculpting talent, especially on the fly with no drawings. In some ways it wasn't what I had hoped, guess that means maybe more tips on carving or assembling. Given this is the same SYfY channel that does Face Off, and they don't provide much in the way of tips or instruction at all, don't know why I would expect more from Carvers. They might actually get more people watching if they did.

I loved seeing some of the items they had in their USA workshop in the background. Did you guys see The Count prop? I'd like to go back and slow-mo the segments to catch more. Also noticed the vertical show piece ended up with their pumpkin arms and legs being used. That was a fun tank to look at but probably not as good as what they had originally planned. The initial carving looked great and that was going to be a pretty large, impressive piece.

Too bad about the slimey mess after all that work. How disheartening. We've had some warm Halloweens as a kid and so remember how disgusting it was once they started rotting out. Plus add a real candle to heat up the inside and bad to worse...although the smell of pumpkin was like a fall perfume! I haven't carved a real pumpkin in some time. Been thinking about it though. I do something different than what Ray and Andy do though. If I ever find some of the photos I took of a few of my pumpkins from back in the 80s I'll post. One of the CEOs where I worked back then wanted to hire me to do one for his halloween party but wanted me to go larger, like with a giant, several-hundred-pound pumpkin, but I was aware back then how the inside of those larger ones was really a crap shoot as to what you would find once you started to carve. As it was, it took me generally 2-3 days to carve the more standard size ones from layout to final form. Can't begin to calculate what one person, not a sculpter, doing a giant one would take. Figured it would require me taking vacation days off of work to do it and probably mean buying hardware tools as well. I admire these guys tackling pumpkins that large all the time.

Man can you imagine the smell of those pickling tanks the pumpkins were stored/displayed in?! I've heard of people spraying things on pumpkins to extend their life and also to rot them out for a gross look. Don't recall vinegar being mentioned. But I guess you pickle vegetables to preserve them so makes a lot of sense as an approach to their problem. If it weren't so darn expensive I'd prefer the Lemoncello route! That might be some pumpkin you'd even want to eat.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
I didn't realize it wasn't already a series.

I'd much rather have more how-to with this type of stuff & thought that was lacking but it's still interesting enough. Not sure this is the time of year for it. The Henson show is a series though, that one starts March 25. At least they're saying "Series Premiere March 25" on the SyFy site.

My Big Fat Geek Wedding is just another wedding show to me. There's enough of those already even without the "geek" twist.

Bah, you gotta do Twitter to vote.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
The show was billed as a "Special" so I was surprised so many thought it was a new series.
I do not know about the others, but I thought that it was a one-off originally, then I saw 'Pilot', which led me to believe that it was the first in a series.

My Big Fat Geek Wedding is just another wedding show to me. There's enough of those already even without the "geek" twist.

Bah, you gotta do Twitter to vote.
I concur. If they want to do something truly original, why not go with extremely nontraditional weddings, such as medieval, steampunk, and Gothic?

Well, that leaves me out, too:rolleyes:

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
The show was billed as a "Special" so I was surprised so many thought it was a new series. I think the third special is the Jim Henson workshop one.
The third special is Foxy. It follows ex Face/Off alumni led by Eric Fox who are trying to start their own studio.

The Henson Workshop is an actual series and starts on the 25th. You can watch sneak peaks of the season on Syfy.com.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts