Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So we are doing a carnival/clown themed party this year and I haven't found any good uses for my projector. Anybody know of any carnival or clown projections that are available?

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
Have you looked at Hallowindow? They had two carnival theme animation projections on last year's DVD. You can buy or download the entire DVD or just select scenes. Here's a link: http://www.hallowindow.com/categories/3

I have two of Mark's earliest DVDs. He was the impetus to do rear projections at our house starting a few years back. Nice guy, nice graphics.

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
There really hasn't been much done in this carnival category. The only other DVD that came to me to suggest was one of the early "projection" DVDs by BigScreamTV (Light Form Production products were sold at Spirit Halloween, in fact first place I saw this effect was on a TV and pepper's ghost set up in the Spirit store--this was pre-projector effects when everyone had a TV but not a projector, but this DVD could still be used with a projector). The DVDs are still sold, not expensive. The DVD I'm thinking about is their second volume of BigScreamTV. I don't know all that's on it but remembered a clown. Might be something you could work into your carnival.

Website link: http://www.lightformproductions.com/sitebstvvol1-3.html

Found this YouTube video to give you an idea of the clown guy. There is a "tame" version track on the DVD for the little kids, and a more sarcastic version for older kids.

Their third volume of BigScreamTV is spirit balls BTW. Might work for a carnival theme too.

In general I think live animation/projection adds a nice element to any haunt.

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
I could see maybe filming your own video to use for an effect. How about a live head in a tank for a Sideshow item? Signage saying something like, "It LIVES!" It would be a step up from using a specimen jar lined inside with a copier image of a head, something you've probably seen in DIY projects, because it would be animated and "alive". You could do a quick back story to it if you like. The head/face could be of a person, a head made to look like a shrunken head, or costumed to look like the head of an ape (kind of carnival/circus like).

Basically you'd film a video of someone's face/head. You'd have to play around with lighting and how large in the frame the head will appear. Maybe have hair covering parts of the face, makeup as desired. The video would start out with the eyes closed for a period of time and then suddenly the eyes would flash open. Could do variations where they close and there's fluttering of the eyelids, maybe a mouth that opens slightly and tries to speak. Create the video as a loop and run it through the projector.

Anyway create a box/tank with a plexiglass front and the back of the box would be open and covered with a rear projection material (white shower curtain for example). Line the inside of the projection material in the box with a scrim made out of landscape fabric so the white isn't visible thru the front plexiglass. The two interior sides can be covered with the black fabric as well to make a dark interior. The box would be positioned in front of a temp wall or curtain (projector behind the wall/curtain) with a cutout for the box shape. Maybe the box/tank can sit on a table with legs so you can see that there's nothing below it and reinforce the illusion there's a head in the box.

I'd probably create a roped off area in front of the exhibit to keep the kids at a slight distance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm looking for this as well now. Too bad there isn't really anything to pick from. Mostly the video or animation is really low budget looking. And they are all set up for windows not doorways.

http://www.spectralillusions.com/effects/evil-clown-town
This is actually the best one out there, it looks great! But it is a mural and so not really what I need.

The idea of making my own is not one I relish.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Maybe... I can't really tell what anything is on that website, and there doesn't seem to be any demos, are the videos all window projections or fullsized for walls and doorways?

·
Registered
370 Posts
right, they are expensive. But I will just keep digging and listing any and all options. Perhaps some of us could go in together on buying a few and cut the cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts