Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Having a bit of trouble getting my distorted mirrors to work!

I've laid mirrored film over 4mm hardboard strips, which are easily flexible & distort well, how can I easily keep the distortions?

Originally I had mad tight frames for them, hoping they'd stay bent up when clamped in, but now Im thinking of routering a 4mm channel in the frame in the shape of the distorted effect & keeping them in that way?

Any other alternative? Better methods?

Thanks

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,681 Posts
I've seen the mirror frames both with the router line and with the sides actually cut in a curve and then attached directly (staples or maybe drilling holes and screwing it into the wood?).

See icyuod2's funhouse mirror here: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/110640-haunted-fun-house-mirror.html

He's an active member so you might want to try PMing him to ask about his build if it looks interesting to you?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used the thin and flimsy door mirrors for mine. Screwed 2x4 and 1x4 boards to a large board the size of the mirror, and luckily, was able to screw through the plastic frame on the mirror. First try I went for too much flex in the mirror (only used the 2x4) and when temperature dropped over night, they shattered. Next time around (when I added the 1x4), they held up. I only have them setup for a few days and now have used the same mirrors 2 years now and again this year. If you need more detail on the boards, I can take a better picture from the side.

2014-11-01 07.20.15.jpg

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
not certain how practical this is or if it'll work ... but how about using fishing line or string to "keep the shape" ... might be difficult keeping the mirror from twisting & keeping a constant curve, but that might work in you favor ... might look extra creepy since all of the carnival mirrors that i've seen are "perfect"

amk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the idea of the LED strips, Russell. Especially in low light.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts