Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Halloween party plans are underway! We have reserved the 30x100 red and white striped tent as well as a smaller tent to make an entrance. The tent will be set up on Monday of decor week with the party being on October 22nd. We have some big ideas, including a carousel horse that can be sat on for photos, an interior and exterior facade, large framed circus posters, LED lighting system with DMX capabilities, and lots of vintage details. Our collecting has started as we have vintage juggling clubs found on EBay, and vintage umbrellas we are going to hang upside-down from strings of lights for a whimsical vintage feel. Here are some sketches of the carousel and interior faces ideas. Feel free to add ideas and more to this thread, past or future!!! I will be posting throughout the year as construction continues....

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We started collecting umbrellas to hang from the strings of lights in the tent! We bought black and white striped umbrellas from eBay and started painting them red and staining some with wood stain for an eclectic look. Here are some photos, along with a photo of a vintage umbrella we bought as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
I could really get some ideas from this thread since I plan to do a similar party this year. I'm going for more of a Haunted Side Show theme but still! I plan to put up some old style posters of Side Show Freaks around the house or something. I always love doing the Tempt Your Fate game and I might do it in the style of a "Wheel of Misfortune" type thing. But that's all I got for now.

If anyone has food menu ideas I could use them!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did a carnEvil theme a few years back. I am thinking about redoing the theme next year. I am going to hire "Clowvis Presley" to come entertain us as well ! :) he's on youtube, check him out

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Wife and I started working on the carousel horse today. Last week, we drove to Illinois from Southern Ohio to pick this thing up. It is life size and it was primed when we got it and ready to paint. We also have a brass pole that goes down the middle. Eventually, it will have a fog apparatus hooked up to blow fog from it's nostrils and LED red eyes. We are going to do a crackle pain finish on the entire thing and really age it will washes and airbrushing to bring out detail and make the overall look like it has been in the weather for a hundred years.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,630 Posts
Wonderful concept drawings BTW. The minwax on the umbrellas and color scheme adds a lot of creep. And oh my what a find in that horse! I will be checking in on how this progresses. I like that your olanning on people being able to sit on the horse...photo op?

·
Registered
118 Posts
What type of paint works best? I have some old outdoor umbrellas I could repurpose, but I wasn't sure if their water-repellent qualities would prevent paint from sticking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What type of paint works best? I have some old outdoor umbrellas I could repurpose, but I wasn't sure if their water-repellent qualities would prevent paint from sticking.
I used gloss cherry red Valspar from Lowes. It is the premixed paint available in smaller quarts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updates on the painting! Its coming along great. We were going for the 100 year old in the weather look. Used Minwax Stain on the entire thing and black and dark brown airbrushing. Now on to rigging the platform and the fog apparatus with red LED eyes.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts