Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sleep with one eye open
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi HF'ers ,

Here is a typewriter I made for my "The Overlooked Hotel" theme this year . Mostly cardboard and Dollarama items as usual . It is controlled by an Arduino Uno with mp3 player , LEDs and a scrapped cd-rom for the carriage movement . In standby mode the lamp and the lights on the room key holder flickered simulating bad power . When the bell was pushed it started the typewriter key click audio , LEDs on the letter/keyboard and started the back and forth movement of the carriage .

I adapted this great tutorial by SACraters LLC for the typewriter .

Some of the materials used to make it :

A top view :

A video :

More photos in my Halloween Forum photo gallery .

Thanks for looking ,

Tom

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,468 Posts
Oh my dog... that's wonderful! CARDBOARD??? That is crazy but in a cool way!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I do like this one - I know I couldn't do it myself so I have the greatest admiration for you for creating this prop.

·
Sleep with one eye open
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is REALLY cool! Nice job!
Thank you J-Man .

5 star prop, Tom!

Not sure how you do that...sit around looking at cardboard, and then come up with this spectacular stuff. Magic, I say!
Oh my dog... that's wonderful! CARDBOARD??? That is crazy but in a cool way!

:cool:
Thanks punkineater and Frankie's Girl , I couldn't find an old typewriter so making one was the only option . Can't go wrong with cardboard , if I screw up then find a few other boxes and start again .

I do like this one - I know I couldn't do it myself so I have the greatest admiration for you for creating this prop.
Thank you DandyBrit . the cardboard part is not as difficult as you think , I am sure you could do it . The Arduino thing is new to me so that provided a few challenges . I am constantly learning new Arduino things from posts in this forum .

Here are a couple of photos with more natural colors .

More photos and video to share of The Overlooked Hotel theme to come . I hope you check them out if you have the time .

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i have no idea if you'll see this as it was last year when this was posted! BUT do you happen to know, or can you point me a typewriter template like yours? I don't want to animated mine. I'm doing an Edgar Allen Poe theme Halloween party and want to make a type writer as a center piece. But the tall one like yours, a lot of videos only do small long one for some reason?

Raven

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well that's unbelievably realistic. Very impressive. It would look great just as a stand alone item, but with the movement. Super cool. Love it ?

·
Sleep with one eye open
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, i have no idea if you'll see this as it was last year when this was posted! BUT do you happen to know, or can you point me a typewriter template like yours? I don't want to animated mine. I'm doing an Edgar Allen Poe theme Halloween party and want to make a type writer as a center piece. But the tall one like yours, a lot of videos only do small long one for some reason?

Raven
Hi RavenBlack16 ,

I followed the tutorial I linked to in my first post to make mine but changed up the look of the typewriter as I built it . I didn't have a template but I did look at a lot of old typewriter photographs on google . If you want to use a template , find a style of typewriter you like on google with a side view , you could then edit the photo in a graphics program to make a black silhouette and print to size .

Sorry I could not be more helpful ,
Tom

Well that's unbelievably realistic. Very impressive. It would look great just as a stand alone item, but with the movement. Super cool. Love it ?
Thank you scarybella .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts