Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little prop that I conjured up; 20171017_202102.jpg it's from a pair of ground breaker arms that I've had for several years, and always admired the level of detail in the skin. (The only thing missing is the arm hair!) 20171013_163052.jpg
This whole project began when I found a wine presentation box at Goodwill for $2 20171013_162907.jpg
What could I do with a nice oblong wooden box???
Since my build theme has centered on pirates this year, I was thinking of some type of treasure box. Doing a Google search for lid adornments, a great (and icky) picture came up from someone who had made a mummified finger of a long-dead(for now) evil pharaoh--I made this discovery while my daughter was watching the show "Once Upon a Time", and Capt Hook was in the scene-- A-HA!-- how about a box with the severed hand of ol' Capt Hook? Yeah!
Doing a search of the good Captain brought me to a blogspot by Dave Lowe, who apparently had very successfully completed just such a project back in 2008! Now I still wanted to try making this prop, but did NOT want to simply copy his work. The big problem was, I had the idea of putting a ring and a tattoo on the hand before I stumbled onto Mr Lowe's blogspot (!!) But! He used a jar for his container, where mine is a wooden presentation box, complete with a bit of crocodile hide for a cushion. So, it does resemble the very fine work of Mr Lowe, but it differs as much as I could to make it my own: After all, how many unique and different things are there that you can do to a severed pirate's hand? So, with a bow and nod to those who have come before me, I have created my very own "hand made" (soorrry) version. 20171017_202114.jpg
The hand needed some "innards", and I had a piece of leftover Greatstuff from my treasure chest build. I t has a lumpy, yet smooth appearance, and I could put the bones through it easily. 20171013_163005.jpg
The bones- I had an extension rod from a light fixture that was about the right circumference of the larger bone, and squeezed it to a little more oval shape with a pair of pliers. The smaller bone (insert actual medical name for it here) is a snipped-off piece of plastic coat hanger!
The tattoo was from the Tinsley "realistic pirate" temporary tattoo line, found at my local costume shop.
The colors used for making the skin less grey were Decor arts buff and nutmeg, with a color called asphalt for a blackish wash around the nails
(I was referencing photos of Capt Barbossa's hands from POTC as he had long and grungy fingernails like my prop).
The foam is slightly larger than the arm hole so that it fits snug, and it was painted with a mix of burnt umber and specks of barn red for highlits. The bones were painted antique white, and I even "stuffed" some more leftover Greatstuff into the empty space in the larger rod to simulate marrow. I painted the marrow in on the coat hanger rod. 20171017_202149.jpg
The ring was a prop ring that I bought five years ago when I portrayed "KIng Triton" in our community theater's production of "The Little Mermaid", and got the shimmery croc themed material from the costume. I think the shimmery green is too "shimmer-y" and will be off to the local fabric store to find more realistic hides.
So, that's the prop, and I do intend to adorn the box much further (perhaps a croc skin-trimmed lid cover?) and create a presentation card of some sort.
Thanks for reading this very long-winded prop showcase, and happy haunting!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
WOW!! That hand looks incredibly real. Like the idea of the alligator/crocodile skin in the box with the hand. May I suggest one thing to add in the box? I would add an aged alarm clock. One with a loud Tick Tock.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW!! That hand looks incredibly real. Like the idea of the alligator/crocodile skin in the box with the hand. May I suggest one thing to add in the box? I would add an aged alarm clock. One with a loud Tick Tock.
Haunted Wyo, that is exactly what it needs! I've been trying to figure out how to make it uniquely Captain Hook, and not just any old pirate's hand-- many thanks!! This is the perfect example of why I'm so grateful to have found this forum!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Haunted Wyo, that is exactly what it needs! I've been trying to figure out how to make it uniquely Captain Hook, and not just any old pirate's hand-- many thanks!! This is the perfect example of why I'm so grateful to have found this forum!
You are most welcome. I just remember that loud Tick Tock every time the croc that took his hand came near and Hook would freak out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts