Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of my garage door hanging out there like a sore thumb in our front yard cemetery display. I know I could use projections, but during the day....
the garage door looks like a garage door. So I thought I would try painting
a painter's canvas and hang it ( with a closet rod ) . The canvas is drying and I haven't put it up onto the garage door yet.
Here is some pics.
The first one is the canvas gesso painted the same color as the house. Kind of the dry "fitting" of everything to see if it looked bad. LOL !
( yes, that is some of the cemetery fences STILL UP. lol )
The rest of the pics are in the process of painting and the last is almost finished pic....
I was painting on a very windy day. the canvas was flapping like a sail.
But it came out pretty good for my first attempt. ( I think)
With some good lighting and some fog...I hope it will be effective!

Thanks for looking !

·
Registered
184 Posts
what a great idea !! the painting looks very cool, maybe just a dim flickering light on it at night . for a cool effect . great work:)

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the nice comments:
I guess I should have explained that I covered my windows last year with crosses. Simple cardboard sheets painted the color of the house with black crosses. The front door and garage door I did not. So this year I am working out that plan to cover those areas. ( maybe stained glass for the windows in this shot.) and enhance the front door with something.

Our lighting was a little lacking too, so we are improving on that as well. Purchased some LED spots on ebay which are way cool.
This is a photo to kind of show the window covering. yeckkkk. on the lighting.

Otaku- I tryed the scene stealers to cover the garage door, but we do open and close the door and the scene stealers did not allow the door to roll up as necessary. This is what I came up with- Garage door can still go up and down,
you just have to pull back the background. If I was good at sewing I would have made the background like a Roman Shade. But that is out of my league.
:eek:

But yes- a flickering lighting and some fog is my plan dept1031. ( We also have lightning effects and the sound of a horse running in the distance in our sound effect loop) So I am trying to tie it all together. Before I found this fourm I was happy to just set my tombstone out and throw a spot light on them. LOL. Now its year around "detail" work to keep up with the amazing displays everyone else seems to post.Will do night shots eventually and will post Ms. Meeple thanks !

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
The Scene Setter is actually hung in front of the door using two 8' lengths of 1" square wooden strip. The two pieces are supported by hooks made from clothes hanger wire. These hooks are hanging from nails under the eaves. This allows the door to go up and down if needed.

I like your idea (and picture!) better than the Scene Setters. If there's any kind of a breeze, the thin plastic flutters, killing the illusion. It's hard to keep it pulled tight enough to prevent the rippling.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That is a great idea! Plus it's much easier to store than a real hearse. Garage doors can be a detracter to an otherwise scary setting. I like the window treatments too.

Since you mentioned possibly treating the front door, have you considered cutting something out of 1/2 inch foam? You're good at painting so I'm sure you could make it look like a heavy wooden door (maybe even have a small opening "hinged" with Velcro so you can peer out). If you can remove a pane from your door, it should be easy to clip on the foam to your existing door so that it still can be used and the facade quickly changed out.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Froggy girl :) I just love this! I think I may borrow that idea for this year! Being a fellow floridian I just know you wont mind:)

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Froggy girl :) I just love this! I think I may borrow that idea for this year! Being a fellow floridian I just know you wont mind:)
Absolutely borrow away....thats what this place is all about. Rock on WET Florida. ( its raining again right now. lol)
I used this canvas backdrop two years ago. I couldn't use it last year as it was painted by my father for a play he did 50 years ago, and as you can guess the canvas is starting to get rather fragile.

And people enjoy taking pictures of their children in front of these backdrops.

Halloween Forum - uncle's Album: House of Gardner 2007 - Picture
THAT CANVAS IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ! I would use THAT every year in my haunt.
wow! Thats a biggie tho. How do you support it????

Miss Froggy'ness that is awesome!! I also have the same problem and thought of Canvas, unfortunately the garage is a double wide so I'm thinking it would take a lot of canvas.
Why thank you Ms. Strange. Long time no talk to. How is Alaska?
Double car garage? I am sure that you can think of something. I was orginially looking to build a pvc backdrop support like photographers use.
But then I found that I could do it with an expandable curtain rod and closet rod holders. For you it might take a long wood dowel and a center support.
Good luck if you try. It was fun painting it !

That is a great idea! Plus it's much easier to store than a real hearse. Garage doors can be a detracter to an otherwise scary setting. I like the window treatments too.

Since you mentioned possibly treating the front door, have you considered cutting something out of 1/2 inch foam? You're good at painting so I'm sure you could make it look like a heavy wooden door (maybe even have a small opening "hinged" with Velcro so you can peer out). If you can remove a pane from your door, it should be easy to clip on the foam to your existing door so that it still can be used and the facade quickly changed out.

OHHHH Demon Dog - that is an excellent idea. And one that I am definately going to plan on working out the details too. I did the windows in heavy
duty cardboard last year, and even tho I still have them ( getting frayed a bit in storage) I think I will do the canvas applications on the windows because
I can roll them up to store them. However, the faux door is just what I think I need. THANKS !!!!

Thanks everyone else tooo. It is nice to get a positive response on this since I haven't seen this done much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why thank you Ms. Strange. Long time no talk to. How is Alaska?
Double car garage? I am sure that you can think of something. I was orginially looking to build a pvc backdrop support like photographers use.
But then I found that I could do it with an expandable curtain rod and closet rod holders. For you it might take a long wood dowel and a center support.
Good luck if you try. It was fun painting it !
It is a Double car garage. The way I typed it before made it sound like a mobile home was my garage, heh!!

I was thinking of painting a canvas to look like the inside of a mausoleum with rows of plaques. Not sure yet though. If I did it so that it had depth, I may even get ToT's to walk headlong into the garage door. ::: evil giggle :::
For supporting it I was thinking we may be able to staple it to the underside of the garage door frame.

Alaska is awesome right now, only because its summer! We have had close to 70 degrees off and on for a few weeks. Which we normally don't see until July.
Can I move in with you when winter comes again?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,070 Posts
Love this (and Uncle's too!) :cool:

I was debating about painting a canvas or doing cardboard... but the garage is definitely getting a coverup this year!

thanks for posting this!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts