Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'd like to build a clear tube about 12" in diameter and about 4 feet tall. I've got the material in my head that is like the cover material on cheap posters or frames (a flat sheet that I can roll and tape together). But for the life of me I can't think of this materials proper name. Acrylic is the only word that comes to mind, but that leads me to tubes and pipes and hard sheets which aren't what I'm looking for. Anyone have an idea? The thickness and feel from my memory is like the old transparency sheets from days-gone-by (but a little heavier).

·
Registered
405 Posts
That is a tough one. I think what you are lookingfor is a thin plexi glass. But I am pretty sure that you would not be able to find the size you need in any hadware store. It may need to be special ordered.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Acetate sheeting is my guess, though I've never seen it larger than about 3x4 feet.

But that is NOT going to be sturdy at all. You'll need to put some sort of ring at each end to provide stability.

Also, a thing sheet of plexiglass or acrylic can be used. Both can be heated with a heat gun to make them pliable and then they'll regain their rigidity and hold shapes after cooling, just like PVC.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Acetate sheeting is my guess, though I've never seen it larger than about 3x4 feet.

But that is NOT going to be sturdy at all. You'll need to put some sort of ring at each end to provide stability.

Also, a thing sheet of plexiglass or acrylic can be used. Both can be heated with a heat gun to make them pliable and then they'll regain their rigidity and hold shapes after cooling, just like PVC.
Just wondering if plexiglass will remain transparent after being heated and shaped?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts