Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum. I need some advice and this seemed to be a really good place to get it. I'm currently working on a Peter Pan theme for this Halloween. My sister and I are Captain Hook and Peter Pan respectively. We go camping every year, and usually win the costume contest but lose at decorating the camper. I have made it my goal to win this year! I will lay out my "plan" and would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions!

We are planning on mounting two "sails" on top of the camper, just white sheets. One will have a cut out of peter pan, we are also mounting a skull and cross bones flag. There are two trees where we are camping; one will be the home of the "Lost Boys" which we plan on stringing yellow and green LED string lights through the entire tree, and cutting out some plywood circles painting them black and mounting them on the trees for holes. We were also considering making a flip top trash can the "entrance" (we need help figuring how, just brown paint?) The other tree will be our Teepee, here is where we need a little help in the material to use, we plan on hiding a projector inside the teepee. We play movies on the projector quite often on a white sheet, so the idea is to string the front canopy of the camper with several white sheets and pause the movie on a scene from Neverland and let it be the back drop, or find some decent souround sound speakers and let the movie play.

Now the real fun part. We want a deck, the front of the camper (from end of canopy to end) is about 19feet. The deck would have to be somewhat portable. We also plan on placing down a 10 X20 ft blue tarp, and stringing blue LED lights on top of it, along with alternating blinking rows of white LEDs to look like water for the Crocodile (if anyone has an idea on how to light up an inflatable croc I would be greatly appreciative! haha) And for the front of the "boat" we thought about maybe plywood on either side of the camper and make a "V" for the stern, and then use 2X4's or 1X8s horizontally to look like a ship. And then cutting out holes for our cannons.

The cannons dont need to be too ecentric, most of them will be hidden behind the wood. We would like to hook them up to a fog machine and have them light up in some manner. Or have "fake fire" I have heard you can do this with a fan, lights and silk. But I'm not sure if it would work in this smaller space. (or perhaps both?)It would be great though!

Sorry for all of the material! =(( ANY and all advice is greatly greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like it will be a great setup! Camp Haunting is always fun and challenging.

Cannons can be made from large diameter PVC pipe, foam, wrappings, and painting. Use air conditioner pipe insulation (Home Depot), cut lengthwise and wrapped around the end to give it the flared tip look. There are several cannons made here by folks that are doing pirate themes. Do a search in the forums and I'm sure you'll come up with some.

Lighting can be as simple as a red light bulb inside that is controlled by a switch - maybe even a white light bulb. Fog machine is also easy to pipe in. if you have multiple cannons you can run hidden dryer vent to them to provide fog to each one.

Pictures!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the info! ^_^ I know its quite an undertaking, but it will be most definitely worth it! I'll definitely post up some pictures! Thanks again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I made a real cannon that shoots lead balls I know your not looking for somethong like that but the easier way would to build a box about a 3' long 2' wide and 2' deep out of plywood then stain it paint it how ever you wanna do it but the for a barrel 2"pvc bout 1 1/2' long then a reducer to a which would make it larger to a 3" piece 6" long then got to a reducer to a 4" put a rounded cap on the end now as for flame and smoke you could buy some black powder put about half a tablespoon in some tin foil twist it up with a fuse in it and you'll get flash and smoke with out a bang to shoot (ignite) just light the fuse make sure its enough to give you some time and drop in the barrel if you need some fuse I have plenty you can buy it works greattt :) good luck and please upload some pics

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you! I will consider all of those options! ^_^ I do have a few questions if either of you could answer them. Do you have a link on how to use the hidden dryer vent? That sounds better than buying two seperate fog machines.
I have purchased two sets of battery powered Red LEDs online, I thought about mounting them inside the cannon, there are 10 LEDS. would this be bright enough?
Also, I was considering using "fake fire" but I was 1.) Unsure if I could use fog and fire and 2.) How to do it.

I thought about leaving the bottom of the cannon open, instead of closing it off and mounting a high velocity battery powered fan in each cannon, and then stringing some silver silk from the fan all the way up through the cannon. I am unsure if this will work or not, or with the fog. Or if the lights with the fog alone would be enough of an effect. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I saw a link of "dancing ghosts" I thought this would be great, as we were thinking of making them "Indians" with tan sheets and various feathers. What is underneath the sheet? I was wondering if anyone knew? Thanks again guys!
Dancing Ghosts

·
Registered
576 Posts
The vent is attached to the end of the fogger and you just use it to route the fog to your cannons. But the longer your vent the harder it will be to get the fog to travel.

10 LED's should be bright enough. In the specs it should tell you the brightness of Illums.

It's very difficult to combine fog and faux fire, since the fan required to make the fire usually dissipates the fog pretty quickly. If you want a long cannon blast, you'll need fog to push it out. Otherwise it will float out much more slowly.

Fake fire is nothing more than fan with red/orange lights underneath, and silk fabric on top. If you use a fake fire with silk ribbons inside the cannon, you'll need something to retract the silk after a shot. Otherwise you'll have goofy looking silk ribbons dangling out the end of the barrel.

The Dancing Ghosts are actually static and do not move. It seems they are supported by PVC armature, and the heads are stuffed plastic bags or milk jugs. The ghost material seems to be simple white sheets. Pretty easy to put together.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vent is attached to the end of the fogger and you just use it to route the fog to your cannons. But the longer your vent the harder it will be to get the fog to travel.

10 LED's should be bright enough. In the specs it should tell you the brightness of Illums.

It's very difficult to combine fog and faux fire, since the fan required to make the fire usually dissipates the fog pretty quickly. If you want a long cannon blast, you'll need fog to push it out. Otherwise it will float out much more slowly.

Fake fire is nothing more than fan with red/orange lights underneath, and silk fabric on top. If you use a fake fire with silk ribbons inside the cannon, you'll need something to retract the silk after a shot. Otherwise you'll have goofy looking silk ribbons dangling out the end of the barrel.

The Dancing Ghosts are actually static and do not move. It seems they are supported by PVC armature, and the heads are stuffed plastic bags or milk jugs. The ghost material seems to be simple white sheets. Pretty easy to put together.
It didn't give a lumen amount, however as cheap as they were I may buy another set to be on the safe side, and maybe some yellow.
Yes I was trying to figure out a way to retract the silk, but i think it will look just fine with the leds and fog!
Does it matter what kind of fan I use? Would a normal box fan work? I am definitely incorporating the faux fire for our indians around the teepee, I've already ordered some lights. Looks like I'll be making another trip to Home Depot lol Thank you very much for all of the info!

·
Registered
576 Posts
You would want to use a fan that advertises high velocity. The larger the fan the more silk you can lift. A simple box fan should work. Once you attach the silk to teh fan, you will see how much it can lift and make adjustments. Use 2-3 sheets of silk, cut in different size flame patterns to give a better flame look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts