Halloween Forum banner

Candy? Or other stuff

• Candy only

Votes: 25 96.2%
  • I give out other stuff, forget the candy!

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, do you give out candy or do you go for other stuff to give out? Me, I always give out candy, loads of it. I would never give out plastic trinkets or *gasp* healthy snacks, that is not for me.
i love giving out old timey candy like mary janes and pixie stix and peanut butter kisses, stuff that most kids have never had before. I have to be careful though because I will eat it!

·
Devil In Disguise
663 Posts
I kind of like doing both in goodie bags. I esp. like horror-themed candy and stuff like plastic bats.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Candy. But a few years ago we gave out these little Halloween themed string ball things. They were cute little Vampires, Ghosts, etc. We gave them to the little kids like 1-4 years old along with a little piece of candy. Then all the older kids just got handfulls of candy. If your going to give out something other than candy, make sure its something cool that the kids will like. Don't give each kid a penny or a toothbrush, unless you like eggs, toilet paper and smashed pumpkins all over your yard. :p

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,298 Posts
Should have had an option for both. ;)

I do a large handful of candy and some sort of toy. Last year it was some really cool bat rings. Year before that, glow bracelets. No idea what the toy will be this year, depends on what cool little thing we can find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I always give out handfuls of candy but last year we didn't get many trick or treaters. :( This year I'm in a different neighborhood and my house will be more decorated so hopefully we'll get more.

This year I am giving out full size candy bars. The only problem is if I hand one out and a kid says "no I want that one" I'm probably going to get a little annoyed lol. You get what I give you then you trade your siblings or the kids at school - DUH!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can I be really terrible and say nothing?

To be completely honest, the children around here are complete troublemakers (even the very small ones) so I make it my business to pretend I'm not home that day. I might just give the old lady across the road some sweets to give to her grandkids, though. Those kids are okay.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We do a mix of everything goodie bags (with candy gummy body parts and plastic creatuers), full size candy bars, mini candy bars for when we run low, and last year added small bags of chips to the mix that were a hit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
we give out candy and like all good parent go through our kids candy. Good thing as one year i remember an older couple giving out a bunch of full size snickers bar. SCORE! until we got home and i took a closer look at the bar and it was a snickers charged! if you don't know a snickers charged is as follows:
The new "Snickers Charged" candy bar includes 60 milligrams of caffeine, taurine, and B vitamins, about the same as a cup of coffee.
Lovely.

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
I give out business cards. We all got to do our part to get the economy back on track.

j/k....candy, tons and tons of candy :)

Wow....I was just going to ask if you guys thought it would be ok if we included hubby's business cards in the treat bags. I was going to put the usual stuff in there along with a business card. Do you guys think this would be ok or is it too tacky to do? I'm just worried about kids throwing them out and the parents not even getting to see them......to answer the poll I give out candy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pixie sticks!!!

I like giving out weird candy, like body shapes and gummy hamburgers, with the generic mini candy bar.

Dunno what it's going to be this year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The last couple of years we gave lots of candy and glow braclets. I guess I have to think of something different. The kids really liked the glow bracelets. I also used to buy a couple of big boxes of something..... I think it was laffy taffy, or nerd something at costco. The kids really liked those. Not something I liked (which is always better) it wasn't chocolate. They were big, and fairly inexpensive. I used to get repeaters, but it was ok. I like the gummy body parts, those are fun. When I was little it was fun to get the full size candy bar. I remember one house gave away candy necklaces.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I normally just give candy. Last year I bought some bogs of severed fingers and small rats and mixed all that up with the candy. Some lucky kids got body parts =)

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
I always give out candy and sometimes I give out glowsticks AKA lightsticks to all the TOTs to wear around their necks so they can be easily spotted during TOT time :)

I buy them in bulk online :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
We have only ever given out candy. Last year we had a lot more ToT's than usual due to our yard display. Personally if I lived in a smaller neighborhood with far fewer children I would like to make goodie bags with stuff beyond candy ... only if I were expected maybe two dozen ToT's or so.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
We give out candy and glow bracelets. I usually have all different candybars and some non-chocolate candies in a cauldron and the kids were picking out of there. They weren't meant to be picking but they'd see the different kinds and just reach in. Its kind of a pain doing it that way. I really want to make up treat bags with an assortment of candy this year. I have the glow bracelets already.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Every year we've given out candy with an option of fruit if they want it, and actually people do take the fruit...

This year we will probably give out candy but then we are having a refreshment stall full of other food like hotdogs and soup, as well as goody bags.....but these are going to be sold as the haunt is for a charity and we have no other way of gaining money for the charity...

we even sell some parts of costumes such as vampire teeth or witches hats.....all the cheap reduced ones from previous years....

Ruggerz

·
Registered
220 Posts
We put together pirate loot bags that contain at least 5 pieces of candy along with a FREE kids meal coupon from our local Long John Silvers which we get for free. Kids seem to remember the houses that give out full sized candy bars, but with 700 trick or treaters just way to expensive.

One thing we do 2 days before Halloween is have a pet Howl-a-ween trick or treat night. Last year was the first year and we had only 27 costumed pets show up. But it was alot of fun and gave everyone a reason to include their pets.

For the business card...perhaps you could poke 2 holes in it and slide a sucker in it. Apply a piece of tape to it so the parents would have to remove it for them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I couldn't vote. :( This year I'm doing both candy and a toy or glow stick braclet. If I end up a little short on toys or bracelets I have a small stock of temprary tattoos to use. Last year was only about 80 TOTS that came by, so it didn't seem like to huge an expense to try both for once.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts