Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone give out their candy? Bowl? prop? have you made something ? I wanna see what all these great minds have come up with!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I have a huge orange tub with rope handles that we haul out to our spot at the end of the driveway. We get between 500 and 600 kids so we have to have something pretty big or else we'd spend the whole night refilling it. We portion everything ahead of time and hand it out rather than letting them help themselves.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
hand candy to ToT..usually drop it in their sack or bucket. I don't have the time or patience required to let someone stand there and choose, which is also why I only do full size snickers

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I have a huge orange tub with rope handles that we haul out to our spot at the end of the driveway. We get between 500 and 600 kids so we have to have something pretty big or else we'd spend the whole night refilling it. We portion everything ahead of time and hand it out rather than letting them help themselves.
I'm with ya Madame... We don't get 500 TOTers anymore, but usually 300-ish. I so a combination of candy and toys, spider rings, paddleball games, GID crap, temporary tattoos, and other assorted stuff from Oriental Trading. It's cheaper than all candy and the kids love to paw through and find stuff.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I buy little Halloween designed drawstring bags and fill them with candy and a toy, then each kid gets one. I get about 100 - 130 trick or treaters.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
We have a very large plastic pumpkin that we put the candy in, out of reach of the ToTers. We take some from there to fill a small bowl that we have that has a skeleton hand that pops out, and let the kids pick from there. It's not the kind with the hand in the middle of the bowl that you can see - it actually has a flap on the edge of the bowl that lifts up, and the hand climbs out of it, wiggles around & slides back down. We've had it for years and have been unable to find another one. We want a back up! LOL!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I hand out a variety of candy, chips, small toys and sometimes big toys. Since the treats aren't all the same, we usually have some sort of game of chance going. We've had Plinko, a wheel of fortune, a spider pull (spiders on fishing line), a duck pond with dry ice and plastic spiders, a fishing rod game, and a card draw. This year, I have two toddler sized Huffy bicycles in the mix to give away. Not sure how that's gonna happen yet.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
I buy little Halloween designed drawstring bags and fill them with candy and a toy, then each kid gets one. I get about 100 - 130 trick or treaters.
This is what I do except for me it's whatever cute bag Oriental Trading has that catches my eye. I can spend a little extra & add in the full size candy bars too because we only have about 30-40 ToTers even on good years. No clue what this year will bring with it being on a Saturday.

This reminds me, I need to start checking for the full sized bars on sale at the grocery stores. I'll hide them, let my husband find them then he'll eat them, I'll buy more, then buy back up candy to put in front of it that he can eat & not eat the "real" candy for the big nite!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is what I do except for me it's whatever cute bag Oriental Trading has that catches my eye. I can spend a little extra & add in the full size candy bars too because we only have about 30-40 ToTers even on good years. No clue what this year will bring with it being on a Saturday.

This reminds me, I need to start checking for the full sized bars on sale at the grocery stores. I'll hide them, let my husband find them then he'll eat them, I'll buy more, then buy back up candy to put in front of it that he can eat & not eat the "real" candy for the big nite!!
My husband has a sweet tooth too. He is constantly getting into our candy and pre-eating. Great tip to get some decoy candy.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
My decoy is usually something that's not chocolate, like Swedish Fish or Crabby Patties, something like that.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
No trick 0r treaters here. A haunted,haunted house. covered with massive vines,a yard full of strange things... at the end of a dead-end street surrounded by dense woods and parking lots on three sides,behind the small downtown.. what child is brave or foolish enough to try it?
And besides these mentioned detriments to a child being OK or happy here, this was once a School House! (1903-05 )
There is also a very truly evil rumor concerning children and this house.. which i won't go into .

·
Registered
315 Posts
I try to set up a "viewing/visitation scene"... I put a casket out on a draped table surrounded by two 4ft tall candelabras (spirit Halloween 4ft pros).
We hold the bowls and usually stand behind or next to the table to greet our visitors and hand out the candy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I use a big black cauldron. I only get about 30 tot's so I give each one a good handful of candy. I like the idea someone posted about giving little toys or stickers too. I may do that this year.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'll hide them, let my husband find them then he'll eat them, I'll buy more, then buy back up candy to put in front of it that he can eat & not eat the "real" candy for the big nite!!
My husband has a sweet tooth too. He is constantly getting into our candy and pre-eating. Great tip to get some decoy candy.
I like the decoy candy idea.

I usually tie mine up tight in a bag and hide them so my husband doesn't dig into it. In fact, I don't even let him know when I buy it so he doesn't go searching.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,067 Posts
I don't get many ToTs, so I make up treat bags with chocolate, fun candy, toys and stickers. I keep the bags in a big, black cauldron by the front door. When a ToT comes to the door, I reach in and get them a treat bag from my cauldron. I have a tiny front porch and a tiny walkway, so there's not really anywhere for me to sit outside to pass out candy in a scene or such, unless I sat inside of my graveyard in the grass...plus, it's usually windy, cold and sometimes rainy, so no way I am gonna sit outside to wait for my few ToTs to randomly show up, lol. Brrrrrr...

One year, when I was younger, I helped my little cousin pass out candy at her house. We made up a big box that you had to reach in blindly and pull out your treat. We had toys, candy, even things filled with money...we had one big prize, too, that you could pull out a ticket for, though I can't remember what the prize was...It's always funny to see the kids scared to stick their hand in. I'll have to do something like that again, someday...if I ever get a decent Halloween night where the kids aren't just running as fast as they can to get candy and out of the weather...

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We have always set up 3 large bins 1 for bars, misc. candy and the last for chips, these were given out at the door; but we have a lot of kids who are too afraid to come to the door and some that go through the haunt and never make it to the door. So this year we will also be delivering candy to our victims in this vintage pram. We use the bags of chips to keep a head count count of how many kids come to the door, for the pram I intend to use bags filled with candy so we can track how much was handed out to ToTers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts