Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on the Nextdoor website for our area and I see this message. It was favorably received via the comments. Looking up the person's name, the company might be Mars.

"I work for a candy company and we are looking into launching an online Halloween event where parents can subscribe and kids can collect candy points online and get candy's delivered right to your door step or collect from local stores. The objective is to ensure kids can still experience Halloween fun safely during these times of social distancing guidance. Seeking your initial feedback, suggestions on this Halloween online event."

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like they held a meeting about declining sales, did some research, held a few focus groups, and came up with a marketing strategy to try to sucker people into buying a product they don't really need. I'm not too sure it's really any different than when all the candy companies jumped on the Saturday Halloween bandwagon last year. They just want to increase sales of a product that has probably been on the decline for years. I think Coke keeps trying to do something similar by always making it seem like soda is a healthy choice.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I can see this as an addition to Halloween but not a substitute. If you can’t get out or bad weather an alternative is nice, but Halloween is going door to door and getting candy. It’s not a bad idea. It’s just not a replacement that’s viable. My opinion anyways! Thanks for sharing.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Sounds like they held a meeting about declining sales, did some research, held a few focus groups, and came up with a marketing strategy to try to sucker people into buying a product they don't really need. I'm not too sure it's really any different than when all the candy companies jumped on the Saturday Halloween bandwagon last year. They just want to increase sales of a product that has probably been on the decline for years.
Yep. Nothing but a marketing ploy & a money grub. It's EXACTLY like the "move Halloween to Saturday permanently" crap they tried to start the last few years. It's all about the bottom line for these companies.

It's like all those commercials we're seeing now from car companies to Frito Lay, they're all telling us about the great deeds they're doing (which is a good thing really) but really it's just another marketing ploy so the next time we're in the store we'll see a bag of Cheetos & think "hey, they did something good during the pandemic so I'll buy this instead of Utz."

I'm glad those people still have jobs & I'm glad companies are doing good deeds for different charities & donating goods & time to them, but honestly, I don't need to see your commercial where you're bragging about it. Because I know when this is over you won't continue to serve free meals to people & to let payments go a month or 2.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yep. Nothing but a marketing ploy & a money grub. It's EXACTLY like the "move Halloween to Saturday permanently" crap they tried to start the last few years. It's all about the bottom line for these companies.

It's like all those commercials we're seeing now from car companies to Frito Lay, they're all telling us about the great deeds they're doing (which is a good thing really) but really it's just another marketing ploy so the next time we're in the store we'll see a bag of Cheetos & think "hey, they did something good during the pandemic so I'll buy this instead of Utz."

I'm glad those people still have jobs & I'm glad companies are doing good deeds for different charities & donating goods & time to them, but honestly, I don't need to see your commercial where you're bragging about it. Because I know when this is over you won't continue to serve free meals to people & to let payments go a month or 2.
mmmmm!!! Utz.

I'm tired of those "In these unprecedented times", "We'll get through this together", and "if you can't pay we'll work with you" commercials because they are all bs. In 6 months when this is all behind us, and the fake news media has moved onto the election, murder hornets, mosquitoes, ticks, some rare tropical disease with unpleasant symptoms, or the old standby of shark attacks at beaches, these same corporations and banks who are acting like models of compassion and understanding will be more than happy to send you to collections, cancel your services, repossess your stuff, or foreclose on you.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
mmmmm!!! Utz.

I'm tired of those "In these unprecedented times", "We'll get through this together", and "if you can't pay we'll work with you" commercials because they are all bs. In 6 months when this is all behind us, and the fake news media has moved onto the election, murder hornets, mosquitoes, ticks, some rare tropical disease with unpleasant symptoms, or the old standby of shark attacks at beaches, these same corporations and banks who are acting like models of compassion and understanding will be more than happy to send you to collections, cancel your services, repossess your stuff, or foreclose on you.
I agree with you 100%.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have put up a huge display for many years. Some people in our neighborhood asked me to sign a petition to move Halloween to Saturday several years ago. I told them point blank that Halloween is on October 31st, not Saturday, it was the stupidest idea I had ever heard and if they got it moved I would stop decorating. I was not approached about it again. Sorry, every time I hear that come up I go rogue....

I am concerned about what Covid could do to Halloween this year. Because of weather, I wasn’t able to put everything out last year so I just kept building and haven’t stopped for some reason. I’m really worried if we’re going to be able to have trick-or-treaters this year. They may just drive by and I have to throw candy at their cars...

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
I think there can be plenty of work arounds for ToTing but still keeping the correct distance & we'll figure that part out if we have to.

You can put a bowl of treats out & stand far enough away to supervise your treats & make sure the ToTers take only what they should be taking, you can use a grabber to give stuff to kids, you could give out T.P. & hand sanitizers instead (if they're widely available by then), so really there's quite a few options to giving out treats.

I don't have a problem with an online connection with the candy. A code on a candy bar that kids can scan or put in manually & they can get prizes but not as a complete substitute or using it as a reason to get a kid into a certain store to collect that prize.

I'm still more worried about the weather screwing things up for many of us. Wind, rain, snow, I think many had all of the above last year.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Well yeah, but it doesn't hurt to have a back up plan. Especially for weather related stuff since that's a lot harder to work around than any social distancing requirements put out anywhere at any time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts