Halloween Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
I usually just hand out candy from a bucket but after reading this thread, I'm thinking treat bags may be the way to go. I always have non- food treats for the kids at work (pencils and stickers this year). I bring home whatever's left and hand them out, too.
I started doing the treat bags last year and I am so glad I did. Each kid gets the same amount of candy no matter who may be answering the door (in case there is more than one person answering), there is no delays in kids choosing the candy they want (there is always going to be the picky TOTs), and you can always give an extra bag to those who either had a great costume, or were extra polite, or what have you. It also helps give you a better idea of how many TOTs you got so you can get a better idea of how much candy to buy for the next year so that you don't risk running out early or get left with too much left over candy.

Registered
I usually just hand out candy from a bucket but after reading this thread, I'm thinking treat bags may be the way to go. I always have non- food treats for the kids at work (pencils and stickers this year). I bring home whatever's left and hand them out, too.
Also, you can get next year's treat bags the day after Halloween really cheap!

Purely and Simply....EVIL
I鈥檝e never heard of 鈥渘ow and laters鈥 here. What kind of candy are they?
FYI they start out as a hard candy, and it takes some "work," to soften them up. Its not a candy you can bite right into. They are yummy though!

Registered
We get all our treats (except the candy bars) from Oriental Trading. This year, we gave out wax lips (surprise hit), GID spider rings and vampire fangs, whoopie cushions (biiiiig hit), stretchy skeletons, bendy mermaid skeletons (huge hit), gum balls, paddleball games, and chocolate candy bars. We go to the local campground with our neighbors and usually have anywhere from 200 to 350 TOTers. Each kid got one of the big toys (skels, whoopie cushions, or paddleball game), fangs or lips, and a few gum balls and/or chocolates.

I order the non-perishable stuff whenever it鈥檚 on sale, so it really keeps the cost down. Plus, OT usually has free shipping so it鈥檚 all double-plus-goodness!

Registered
Oh yeah, here鈥檚 the loot! We also have Saf-T-Pops on hand for the tiniest TOTers. Next year, I鈥檓 thinking about handing out pacifiers to the infants who are 鈥渢rick-or-treating...鈥

Registered
200 treat bags, 100 for younger kids and 100 for older kids. All have a full size candy bar, either Snickers or Twix, Fun Dip, Airheads, 2 Zotz, stretchy skeleton, glow in the dark bouncy ball, younger kids have different stickers and temporary tattoos than older kids and the treat bags are more cartoobish, older kids have bloody designs. Some people in my household think I'm a little out of control...

Registered
View attachment 724901
View attachment 724902

We have 150 treat bags. Each bag has a Twix, Kit Kat and Hersheys. We do have the emergency candy too in case we run out of treat bags.

What kind of candy are you handing out? Will you be making treat bags or just grabbing a few individually to hand out? How much candy do you have to give out?

I know some people give out small toys or accessories etc too, so if you're not handing out candy, what are you handing out to the kiddos? 馃槉
I have 400 bags made up, each with five pieces of candy. M&M's, Snickers, 3Musketeers, Skittles, and Starbursts make up the bulk of the candy. We did cut back some this year. We had been making 450 bags, but the number of ToTs was down to 396 last year.

Registered
We are hanging out the usual fun sized candy bars, mini halloween printed pez dispensers, swedish fish, nerds, sweet tarts. For non candy treats, we are handing out eyeball bouncing balls. And we have a separate area set up in the front yard (for the kids that don't want to enter our spider funnel web to ring the doorbell to get candy) that has hot chocolate and freshly made cotton candy! Can't wait to get tangled up with the TOTs tonight!

Registered
I offer my ToT's a choice between a full-size candy bar (an assortment of snickers, kit-kat, hershey's and reeces cups), or a bag of potato chips. At my last house the chips were more popular, at my current one the candy is more popular. I also participate in the teal pumpkin program, so I have treat bags with toys, erasers, stickers and temporary tattoos for the kids with food allergies.

We get about 90-100 kids at our current place, before that we got about 200. I'm also doing a Trunk-or-Treat at work today, and I bought a big bag of dumdums for that. It's our first year doing it, so I have no idea how many kids to expect for it, but I imagine I'll probably be giving the kids a handful.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts