Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys. I'm looking for some advice and suggestions

Who here has used REAL candles for outdoor decor?

Are there some kinds that are better than others?

Tricks to keeping things lit?

I've used real candles in both pumpkins and glass jars, and a couple of the '7 day candles' from dollar tree/walmart in the pas to mixed results.

Love the look, but trouble keeping lit.

With my circle, I'd LOVE a set of real candles at the base of each stone. Looking for good options.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Example of easily the most effective candles I've found so far. "witch jar" with small votive/tea lights. These stay lit in most scenarios.

Pillar candle, and one of the '7 day candles'. I love the look, but the 7 day candles tend to gutter out as they burn down. They usually last really great for a night, but when you try to light them a second time, it'll gutter.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,397 Posts
Since I apparently live in a wind tunnel but ONLY on Halloween from dusk until 10PM (that literal time frame of wind has happened the last 2 years) I've given up on most open flames. I've done the "witch jar" thing with good results with tea lights or some other small jar candle or votive.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you want a wax candle with no jar I was just thinking because my granddaughter just had a birthday. My daughter used the candles that relight themselves. If a person takes a large candle and drills a 1/4" holes down the center where the wick is, you could insert one of the relighting candles. If the wind were to blow it out it would relight itself.

Just a thought. Concept sounds good. Might want to try it out.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The more we run our home haunt, the more I get concerned about using real candles. They lend a level of awesome to the decor, but we are trying to be safer about where we use them.

For example, we have this witches table with an assortment of, well, witchy things, including a few lit candles. When some of the girls/women with long hair bent over to take a closer look, their hair came really close to catching on fire. That would have been a bad scene.

Currently, we limit real candles to locations where it would be difficult to accidentally set something on fire. But, I even fret about that, as there's always the chance of that odd event occurring that causes a fire.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, we took them off our candy drop table for the same reason.

Hell, I literally had a (teenager) kid stick his hand INTO the tiki torch flame ON PURPOSE (and well off the path) and then act shocked when he got singed. As the concept it might be real never dawned on him. He then kicked it over, spilling burning oil all over the lawn and starting a blaze.

I'm well aware of the safety and idiot kids aspect, but there's a particular location I have in mind for this, barring finding some better battery ones than I've ever seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts