Halloween Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on making some static props and stalkabouts for next season and I would like to make some realistic faces on them. I've seen countless tuts on using silicone caulking to make a mold, so I was wondering if I could make a small mask out of it. By small I mean the exposed part of an Gorilla's face or a Werewolf. I don't think that it would work on a pullover type mask. Not to mention that I don't think that I want to this type of mask against my skin anyways.

I'm mostly interested in a better look and longevity than latex for my props and stalkabouts. But would like to avoid the high price (and skill needed) to use the proper silicone materials. I could always go with cotton build up and latex layers. Has anyone tried anything like this?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. And I really like your groundskeeper guy prop too. I appreciate your insights into working with silicone too. I'm thinking of sculpting a face, molding it then pouring in a thin layer of silicone into the mold. Then building it up layer by layer. I'm hoping this will solve the stickiness issues and the thin layers will hopefully allow them to dry. Do you think that this might work?

Skeletom, do you mean to say that you can't hair punch silicone caulk at all or just if it's too thick?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks SkeleTom. It sounds like it might work if I sculpt, mold and then try a "splash" type mold. But that is starting to sound like a lot of work for a one-off. I'm starting to lean back to cotton wadding buildup/latex and then finish it off by shooting balloon latex through my hobby spray gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts