Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a little trouble this year with coming up with a prop idea.
This year, as we all know, Halloween is on a Friday. So, I anticipate a health crowd.
I want to make something special, but I also really want to have some kind of a theme. In years past, I would just make a prop and stick it out.
Each year, one new prop, but nothing to tie it all together. So, it got me thinking. Should I scrap/retire the old stuff and come up with something new? Or could I incorporate some of the old stuff into a cohesive haunt?
Either way, my ultimate goal is to have a haut that leaves a lasting impression without any “Gore/blood” (wife’s rules). And I would like it to look natural and at the same time eerie and somewhat magical.
I think lighting is going to play a big part in making this work. The down side is, in my neighborhood we have quite a bit of light pollution. Not to mention, I am out of my league when it comes to electronics.
I have a new projector this year, but I don’t really know how to put to good use. I was thinking of some type of pepper’s ghost, but again I feel out of my league.
Anyone have any Ideas they would like to share or somehow point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
My suggestion would be a cauldron creep. They're not too complicated to make, and they'll really stand out in your haunt. All you need is a life-sized skeleton (or a skull, arms, and legs, for that matter), a wiper motor, a reindeer motor for the head, and some sort of cauldron. IMHO, the most bang for your buck.

This first link is to Devil's Chariot's website. He is the creator of this masterpiece:

http://devilschariot.blogspot.com/2009/08/cauldron-creep-how-to-or-how-it-was.html

Here are some HF links:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/132570-cauldron-creep-question.html?highlight=cauldron+creep

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/124771-daves-cauldron-creep.html?highlight=cauldron%20creep

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what do you have for props now?
helps to come up with ideas that way.
All of my props can be found in my Album. The are split up into years going all the way back to 2000,
I have:
Headless horseman (now damaged)
Frankie
Gargoyle
Scare crow
Grave digger
FCG (Skelton version)
Grim reaper
Gallows (retired)
Witch stirring a caldron (retired)

Don't get me wrong, I think I have a lot of props, I just don't think they create an cohesive look.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
I orginally thought redressing them would be the answer but as soon as I recognized the work I thought tooo good to mess with.

Can you create something along the line of a ... Monsters "R" Us Theme .... Monsters R Us Where your nightmares begin? Could build in a monster making factory assembly line idea???

Sorry all I have.....btw FANTASTIC work.

·
Registered
237 Posts
sounds like a graveyard scene,
Headless horseman (now damaged) in the back ground with great blue or orange lighting
Frankie Frankenstein?not sure about him in this vision
Gargoyle on top a crypt
Scare crow in the background again dimly lit
Grave digger next to a pile of dirt digging a grave
FCG (Skeleton version) ghost would be better but walking in the cemetery
Grim reaper standing near the fresh grave or on the gallows,two death objects
Gallows (retired) lit in the background
Witch stirring a cauldron (retired) maybe if so trying to raise the dead.
So my projects for this scene would be make a new Orleans style above ground coffin style crypt.not the building type.
12V type pin spot led lighting (many how-to's on here and Google)
lots of tombstones (even If you don't get them all decorated cut out the shapes, paint grey and place in the back;next season you can work on decorating and carving)
making a cemetery fence.
depending on where you live and your yard you could even get to hanging Spanish moss,etc.
make it look old,abandon,creepy

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like a graveyard scene,
Headless horseman (now damaged) in the back ground with great blue or orange lighting
Frankie Frankenstein?not sure about him in this vision
Gargoyle on top a crypt
Scare crow in the background again dimly lit
Grave digger next to a pile of dirt digging a grave
FCG (Skeleton version) ghost would be better but walking in the cemetery
Grim reaper standing near the fresh grave or on the gallows,two death objects
Gallows (retired) lit in the background
Witch stirring a cauldron (retired) maybe if so trying to raise the dead.
So my projects for this scene would be make a new Orleans style above ground coffin style crypt.not the building type.
12V type pin spot led lighting (many how-to's on here and Google)
lots of tombstones (even If you don't get them all decorated cut out the shapes, paint grey and place in the back;next season you can work on decorating and carving)
making a cemetery fence.
depending on where you live and your yard you could even get to hanging Spanish moss,etc.
make it look old,abandon,creepy

I think we might have a winner. It's funny that this is exactly what I sketched up last night. I think I'll drop the witch and Frankie. But the rest fits right in.
I should have brought my sketch in to work. Then I could have posted it.

I was thinking of adding some grave poppers and putting a projection style peppers ghost in the crypt and maybe even a breathing grave.

I will have to look into the 12v pin spot lights. That sound really good.

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts