Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I partialy disassembled a 10 foot diameter satellite dish, the kind with aluminum struts with black screen in between them.
Then I removed every other strut, turned it over and reinstalled them, creating a very odd configuration, sort of "Spider-Like" BUT IT IS NOT GOING TO BE A SPIDER!

Hazard a guess?

This will be the main part of my paddle wheel of my Steam-punkish 1898 battle ship.
I have some of it already done and in place. The entire thing is made from very rusty steel parts, mostly from old furnaces.
I cut every piece in-half to create more turrets because this "Ship" will actually be a wall or a fence about only a foot wide between our South yard and a parking lot.
By halving every part I am also (I hope) eliminating possible nesting opportunities for bees, wasps, bats, birds and insects, I should be able to visually examine almost every part from a distance and even spray them with a hose without getting within range of any stinger or other retribution.
I never needed a wall there until last Winter when the strange very cold-very hot-very cold again weather killed two small bushy trees that gave us quite nice privacy and also created a barrier to anyone wishing to invade the yard.
Making the various "scoops" for the paddle wheel will be a time-sucking task.. but. "Oh,well?"
Making a "Crew", should be pure fun! A Pirate flag cut from steel ? Maybe?
After owning this place for 27 years, I'm still not done with it. -Ravens Grin Inn--Mount Carroll, Illinois.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a long day. I decided how much to cut down the dish then cut and welded some supports to hold it all together after I cut off the bottom of the circle otherwise it would stick up too far and might not look right! HAHAHAH! ("Might not look right!")
Almost nothing within the parameter of "Looking" will be anywhere near "right".
I found two items in my scrap pile that used to be street lights here in the downtown. They are a heavy bracket with a pipe sticking out from it at about a 60 degree angle. These will be the gun on the front of the identicale turrets even though the extreme angle of the "gun" would not be able to happen unless the breech was built above the barrel itself.. but then, maybe it's a "Mortar" that gets loaded from inside the turret?
A mortar might be a better weapon on a Pirate ship anyway.
A small pirate ship here is really not that goofy of an idea since Waukarusa River is just on the north side of my house. Of course any real "Pirates" would have to have be using inner tubes or canoes or been left waiting for a flood!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts