Halloween Forum banner

Can this be used as a prop trigger?

Mechanical: 
1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  The Pod 
#1 ·
It's a security sensor it's not in use was here when I bought the house. If so how would I go about doing this. thanks

#2 ·
Hi Spookman,

I work in the alarm industry. That appears to be an Intellisense DT7435 or DT7450 motion detector. what you need to find out is if it is a DT7435 or a DT7435C. The C model motions come with a set of double pole relay contacts and would be much easier to use as a prop trigger. If you can find that out and let me know what you plan on tripping, I could probably help you a little further. That motion will only stay tripped for a few seconds, so you will likely need some sort of timer if you plan on your prop staying activated for any length of time.

You can remove the cover by putting small screwdriver in the slot at the bottom of the unit. :D

#6 ·
Yes, that helps a lot. :) This motion does not have form C contacts available onboard, so you would need to wire in a relay with a 12 volt DC coil in order to get a normally open trigger from it. It can be done, but it might be easier to just get another motion.

Do you have any idea what prop you are looking to trigger ? You can get a relay at Radio Shack for about $9 to do the job.

#8 ·
Spookman, I can draw you up a schematic of how to wire this all up, but you will still need a timer to keep it running for any duration. That motion will only give a few second burst at best, and from what I have seen with these wiper motors, the seem to have a bit of and on/off delay.

Are you looking for a startle factor from this hangman, or just some random movement ? I just posted a tutorial for wiring up a fog timer to use as a prop timer (which I am using on my grave grabber) and it works really well. You would not necessarily give you total control, but it is cheap, and easy. I don't know how complicated you want to make it ? I'll be glad to help you either way.

If you have the help, you might also consider plugging your wiper motor power supply into one of those remote control christmas light controllers and controlling him manually. That also will work great and requires no special wiring. :D

#10 ·
The motion sensor you have only has NC or normally closed contacts. The connections would be to have a 12 volt power supply connected to the red and black wires and then you would connect the yellow and green to what you want controlled. When the motion is detected, the connection between the yellow and green wire is broken (or what you have connected to it is turned off). Kind of the opposite of what you need (an NO connection). You could wire this up like Diabolik said using additional relays so that when motion is detected it would actvate another relay to close a circuit. You could wire a couple relays creating a latched circuit (I do this with my monster in the box to keep the wiper motor running even after motion has stopped and then break the latched circuit with a micro switch on the lid shutting off the wiper motor when the lid is completely closed. That way the box is shut and waiting for the next person to trip the motion sensor). Or you could add a capacitor and resistor off the relay to create a momentry (timed) switch causing the relays to stay closed until the capacitor is charged and then shut off, then when no motion is detected, the current would drain from the capacitor through the resistor and reset itself for the next motion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.