Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to all of this, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I picked this up because it's perfect for our mad-scientist haunt. The only problem is that it blinks and makes an electrifying sound for a whopping 6 seconds. Can this be wired to be constant-on? I don't want something I have to keep pressing a button for.

IMG_16521.jpg IMG_16531.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you just cut the wire on the switch and splice the cut ends together, you might get constant flashing and noise. But maybe not. There's a lengthy discussion about why this may be the case in the Home Depot Howling Wolf thread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We tried that, and it still stops at 6 seconds. There's a green motherboard sorta thing that all the wires connect to, and it's what I believe cause the sounds and blinking, and the auto-shutoff. Wish I knew where to cut and bypass the auto-off

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's at the microcontroller level, then. No easy way to do it. Lights would be easy--add some resistors to the LED lines and then power them directly, but the sound is a problem.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
without seeing how it all works, I could only suggest something like an Arduino and a relay, to trip the switch every 6 seconds or so.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Actually you just need a small timer circuit that will press the button regularly. This is the one you want:
http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=350686

It's designed to make lights flash for models, or trigger a camera every few seconds, etc. It comes as a kit that needs to be soldered together, but there's also a version that is fully assembled.

Search Google for...
Kit version: Velleman MK111
Assembled version: Velleman VM136

This unit needs a battery and will turn the relay on and off based on how you set the two little controls (use a small screwdriver). The relay is just an electronically controlled button.

There's a YouTube video that shows a guy soldering it together and how to set it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urXg-TVNFUQ

There are a couple of other videos from guys who couldn't solder the kit together correctly, ignore those.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The little timer would certainly work. If the prop has a photocell for triggering, I was just gonna suggest placing a small blinking light in front of the hole where the photocell is. That would keep triggering the prop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thumbnail_IMG_1658.jpg

Here is what the inside looks like. Someone mentioned you could make it bypass the auto-off if you wired it directly, but you'd lose the sound. I'm totally ok with that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is all sounding so familiar. If you had any idea what trouble lies ahead you run far away LOL. I will say I have learned a lot these past two weeks working on Wolfie (who is now a Doberman, BTW).

I like the timer idea. Sounds about the easiest.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
How would I do that? That'll work. It's better than a button is have to babysit!
It would involve clipping all the wires off the board that go to the LED's and soldering all the positive leads together, all the negative leads together, and then connect them to the battery using the proper current limiting resistor. You would also have to put a switch in the battery lead so you can turn it on/off.
If you're not familiar with soldering and using resistors, this may be a tough task.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would involve clipping all the wires off the board that go to the LED's and soldering all the positive leads together, all the negative leads together, and then connect them to the battery using the proper current limiting resistor. You would also have to put a switch in the battery lead so you can turn it on/off.
If you're not familiar with soldering and using resistors, this may be a tough task.
Any idea if there are places around town who know this stuff? Who may be willing to help a girl out?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can walk you through it if you can solder.
That's stinkin awesome, thank you! Can you recommend a place where I can get the proper resister and switch? And to clarify, there isn't a way to make them blink randomly? This is just static lights, right? (No sound)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts