Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am using some of that Jute netting in my Halloween display this year and a question came to mind since it still is unclear if we are going to get some rain Halloween night. Can this material get wet? I know I have seen others use it in outdoor displays, but the question never came up if this stuff is OK with getting wet. I am curious if there were any ill effects such as a bad odor, shrinking, or any thing else that might be undesireable. At $15 per 5 foot square, I certainly don't want this stuff getting ruined on me, yet if this is something that CAN be left out in the rain, then it is one thing that I don't have to scramble for to get it under covers in the event it does rain.

So far the forcast is predicting a LATE night rain on Halloween night. But to me late night could be taken as anything from 9:00pm on. Luckily that is the time I usually shut everything down anyway. But my worry is if the weather pattern shifts and we get the rain earlier.

Right now it is still up in the air, but as I said before, if it is one thing less I have to scramble for to put away, the better.

Geo

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since jute is a fiber from a plant that when growing requires standing water, and it it commonly used to prevent erosion in areas where plants have not solidified thier roots, i would think water shouldn't be that big of a deal. I would however ensure it is dried out completely before storing, being wet, in a storage place, could bring on rotting and other nastiness, making it unusable in the future.

·
Registered
854 Posts
jukingeo - I'm sorry to tell you that, that 5'x5' piece of jute will hit about 2'x2' once it dries - just kidding
Jute netting was the original camo netting used by the Military. If it shrank up, it wouldn't cover much, and the enemy would've found us, and our last dozen Presidents would have been Japanese. So no, I think you're safe. However, you should be able to find that stuff a lot cheaper by the roll.
HM

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jukingeo - I'm sorry to tell you that, that 5'x5' piece of jute will hit about 2'x2' once it dries - just kidding
LOL! That's a good one. I guess I need a laugh given how upsetting things got when the weather decided to take a turn for the worse....AGAIN.

Jute netting was the original camo netting used by the Military. If it shrank up, it wouldn't cover much, and the enemy would've found us, and our last dozen Presidents would have been Japanese. So no, I think you're safe. However, you should be able to find that stuff a lot cheaper by the roll.
HM
Ok, that is good to know. I normally end up buying the stuff the day after Halloween and the last two rolls I got were less than $10. But I built a new lamp post and it has a rather obtuse base that I wanted to cover up with Jute. So I bought the roll at Party City last week and paid top dollar for it...$15 OUCH!

At any rate, I don't use it extensively...just mainly to cover things I don't want readily seen.

it will be fine but it will stink like a wet dog.
Ha Ha! I hope that was a joke too, but that really happens, I will be certain to make sure to hang it up to dry before packing it up.

Thanx everyone for your input. At least I know it can get wet without a problem...one thing less I have to worry about for tomorrow. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully the rain will hold up until later in the day as they are predicting. We will see though.

Anyway, it is getting close to noon and I have to get busy so I probably will not report back here until after Halloween.

Happy Halloween to all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts