Halloween Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do a yard display with animated props and lights synchronized to music. I was doing yard work this July when Dominic and his grandpa walked by. Dominic (age 4 - he told me so) asked when I will be putting up Halloween this year. He then not only critiqued the display but he explained what he like better last year than from the year before. Yep, it's worth the work and I appreciate these little reminders from the children.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
What an awesome story (and the following stories in the comments)! That’s what it’s all about, creating memories for the kids. I’m sure most of you are like this, but for me, Halloween is all about the nostalgia it brings. Without the nostalgia, Halloween would just be another commercial holiday. So congrats on successfully doing that for the kids in your neighborhood!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wonderful story! You "know" that the people around you like your haunt but boy, what a difference when a kid hugs you for the magic you create each year! I remember a little boy in the neighborhood coming by every afternoon to talk to my cemetery & ghosts, asking them to be nice to the kids on Halloween and that he'd share his candy with them if they behaved. He's 10 now but he still tells the other little kids about how he's friends with my ghosts. Memories! How magical.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This is exactly what keeps me going. For the past three years we've received an anonymous "fan" card in our mailbox. Someone who doesn't want to identify herself just writes a lovely note to say that she loves our display and that she's our biggest fan. The first one made me tear up! So moving.

We always keep our annual theme a secret for as long as we can. But now, the neighborhood seems to be trying to find out early. Two old ladies cornered my husband a few weeks ago on the sidewalk and asked all sweet and nice if he would tell them what this year's theme is promising that they wouldn't tell anyone. Another family hosting a garage sale offered my husband a discount on something he wanted to buy if he would tell them! So much fun! I love it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love this! Thank you so much for sharing, how wonderful it feels to be recognized for all the work it takes to bring these displays to life by our audience!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts