Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I had a garage sale. I'm sitting in my chair (lording over my junk) when towards the end of it, a family with three boys came in. They looked about age 6-8. The dad introduced himself and told me his parents lived on our street. Then he surprised me by asking if I was going to have a haunt in my garage this year. Let me say that I do a really last minute haunt set up. We do a big house party. Then, if I'm feeling like it, I move a lot of props into the garage and make a little walk through. He went on to say that he brings the kids back to the old neighborhood for trick or treating and that they really enjoyed it. Literally no one does this kind of thing in our general area. We live in a lame Halloween area.

But then, THEN, the youngest boy runs up to me and gives me the biggest little kid, heartfelt hug and asks if I'm doing it again. Well heck yeah I'm doing it; literally just for you, kid. Didn't know how much I needed that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know that just made your day! I bet those boys asked their Dad if they could stop by your garage sale just to ask about Halloween.

My 9 year old grandson plays on a travel baseball team and they had several new team members last spring. There was one family that looked very familiar and I was pretty sure that they have been coming to my house the last several years for Halloween. I walked over and introduced myself and asked if they came to my neighborhood for Halloween. The dad looked sort of surprised and said yes. At which point, I replied, "Well, I'm the witch." They were so excited and I got hugs all around. They had never seen me out of costume and makeup so apparently my costume is more successful than I thought. LOL

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that is a great story, love it!

QUOTE=Caroluna;2466033]I know that just made your day! I bet those boys asked their Dad if they could stop by your garage sale just to ask about Halloween.

My 9 year old grandson plays on a travel baseball team and they had several new team members last spring. There was one family that looked very familiar and I was pretty sure that they have been coming to my house the last several years for Halloween. I walked over and introduced myself and asked if they came to my neighborhood for Halloween. The dad looked sort of surprised and said yes. At which point, I replied, "Well, I'm the witch." They were so excited and I got hugs all around. They had never seen me out of costume and makeup so apparently my costume is more successful than I thought. LOL[/QUOTE]

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Nice. Those kids have memories they will carry with them into adulthood. My wife is recognized very often by strangers. She dons a costume but no make-up. Ive been recognized a few times, but it's usually of the, "Mama, there goes that man..." variety...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ah that’s fantastic! Isn’t it wonderful when people appreciate what you do? Makes all the hard work worth it :D

This past weekend I had a garage sale. I'm sitting in my chair (lording over my junk) when towards the end of it, a family with three boys came in. They looked about age 6-8. The dad introduced himself and told me his parents lived on our street. Then he surprised me by asking if I was going to have a haunt in my garage this year. Let me say that I do a really last minute haunt set up. We do a big house party. Then, if I'm feeling like it, I move a lot of props into the garage and make a little walk through. He went on to say that he brings the kids back to the old neighborhood for trick or treating and that they really enjoyed it. Literally no one does this kind of thing in our general area. We live in a lame Halloween area.

But then, THEN, the youngest boy runs up to me and gives me the biggest little kid, heartfelt hug and asks if I'm doing it again. Well heck yeah I'm doing it; literally just for you, kid. Didn't know how much I needed that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So cute. I love the excitment in the littles face when they see all the new things. It makes me want to do more every year. My neighbors little boy is the same. As soon as I start setting up he comes out and watching everything. His eyes as big as saucers and it really just makes me happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love it !!! Always makes our night when the trick-or-treaters mention how much they always love our house every year. Thanks for sharing!

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
We live on the end of a one lane road. We've tried for years to get people to come visit us but it's tough when the rest of the block really doesn't put anything out. So, while there are those here on the site that talk about their hundreds of people visiting every year, we're tickled pink if we get a dozen. But one young lady and her parents have visited us for the last three years just before nightfall. She is autistic, and she just loves watching the skeletons moving and talking. We take the family on a tour and show them everything that's new. We also turn down most of the noise so she can enjoy herself . Her folks are in costume with her every year. If for no other reason, having them drop by makes the night all worth while. We hope everyone has someone that they look forward to seeing every year that makes the event one to remember. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's absolutely awesome!!! I didn't realize how kinda cool kids, and their honesty, are until I had one later in life (mid 30s)! Bet he becomes a haunter later in life, and you probably had a part in that.. Lol... That might be a scarier thing than any haunt! Lol! Nah, that's awesome! Have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for sharing that story! So nice. That's what I needed to make plans for an "open backyard" for the neighborhood kids. I'm planing to put halloween displays and a mini haunted house in our backyard for the kids to come on fridays in October (I think 6-8pm?). The neighborhood have a group email that I can use to let everybody know about the open backyard...my neighborhood is not big on halloween decorations, but there is a lot of kids.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts