Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Digital Galaxy DG-747 (*not* the LED model) that has high lumens and is great for my haunted footsteps effect. However, I'd like to use the projector out-of-season in a spare room to watch movies. I know projectors are typically mounted to a ceiling. But I don't want to permanently mess with the ceiling.

Are there other solutions for projection, e.g. somehow getting a mount that fits the DG-747 and mounting it to some sort of pole? I have no welding or other mechanical abilities, so this would need to be cobbled together with off-the-shelf parts and very little handy-man type work. Dead simple, something a child could do (given sufficient height or a ladder!) :)

Any suggestions? What about stacking up boxes or plastic bins sufficiently high to place the projector on, letting it sit there. Open to any easy suggestions. Doesn't have to look elegant. Just as to work. Again, don't want to mess with ceiling mounting at all.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
668 Posts
Angle brackets and a shelf screwed to a wall? That's what I have mine on when I want to use it indoors. Possibly cheap stackable shelving units. That would require a bit of money, but not to much. They are usually 5 or so feet tall, and are made from tubes with shelves that the tubes insert into. With 2 units you could get the height you need.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Angle brackets and a shelf screwed to a wall? That's what I have mine on when I want to use it indoors. Possibly cheap stackable shelving units. That would require a bit of money, but not to much. They are usually 5 or so feet tall, and are made from tubes with shelves that the tubes insert into. With 2 units you could get the height you need.
Both sounds like great solutions, thanks! :) I like the cheap stackable shelving unit idea myself. Then could also be used for storage. Would Walmart have something like that at a good price or should I head to a Lowes or Home Depot.

Or is this something I could get even cheaper at a Harbor Freight store?

Think the ceilings in this room are 9 feet.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I just set mine on a barstool. I can move it around wherever. It's an optoma hd projector. I just shoot it on the wall for the cinema experience with the family.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Both sounds like great solutions, thanks! :) I like the cheap stackable shelving unit idea myself. Then could also be used for storage. Would Walmart have something like that at a good price or should I head to a Lowes or Home Depot.

Or is this something I could get even cheaper at a Harbor Freight store?

Think the ceilings in this room are 9 feet.
I bought some for use in my garage. I think I got them at Walmart. Don't recall price. The good things it that you can cut down the PVC tubes if that one shelf is just a little too tall.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just set mine on a barstool. I can move it around wherever. It's an optoma hd projector. I just shoot it on the wall for the cinema experience with the family.
Thanks Danski. So there's no need to have the projector high up near the ceiling? Obviously a barstool is only around 30" high. Guess I'm used to seeing ceiling mounted projectors in small conference rooms at work. Wondering if this has anything to do with short / long throw projectors. And if there's any real advantage, re: how the image appears on the screen or wall, if it's ceiling mounted vs. sitting on a barstool.

·
Registered
668 Posts
No benefit other than mounted on the ceiling, you can walk past it without getting blinded or blocking the projection. Same for short vs long vs standard projectors. Doesn't matter where or how it's mounted. If you ceiling mount it, you need to invert the image is all.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No benefit other than mounted on the ceiling, you can walk past it without getting blinded or blocking the projection. Same for short vs long vs standard projectors. Doesn't matter where or how it's mounted. If you ceiling mount it, you need to invert the image is all.
Excellent, thanks Icepick. This will save me a lot of time.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I totally understand. Yah we use ours for the cinema experience in our room. It's at the foot of our bed and we lay at foot also. It shoots over head and onto the wall fairly easy. I didn't want to mount it permanently yet so that's how we roll right now. Outside is great too. I get two queen sized sheets. Hang them and shoot the projector not them from the barstool. Like a backyard drive inn. Can't wait for summer. I love me some projectors...haha...even use a couple pico projectors in my halloween display.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I need to add, that depending on your projector, you may have to adjust the keystone to square it up, and if it's ultra short throw, mounting it high without turning it over may not work. My ultra short throw sends the image off the lense at a 45 degree angle. So if I mount mine to the ceiling or on a shelf at just about ceiling height, I need to flip my projector over, then invert the image. The further from the surface I'm projecting on, the higher up the surface it projects.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need to add, that depending on your projector, you may have to adjust the keystone to square it up, and if it's ultra short throw, mounting it high without turning it over may not work. My ultra short throw sends the image off the lense at a 45 degree angle. So if I mount mine to the ceiling or on a shelf at just about ceiling height, I need to flip my projector over, then invert the image. The further from the surface I'm projecting on, the higher up the surface it projects.
Thanks Danski and Icepick. Was experimenting today before I saw your post. Definitely having to adjust the keystoning but can't get it quite right. Seems either the top horizontal portion of the image, or the bottom portion, cannot get level. Like it's one or the other. Never thought of inverting the projector--might give that a try. I just have the projector atop two plastic storage bins to bring the height up. Also seen projection from a conference room table--so may try projecting from a coffee table I have in the room--wonder if that would give better results being closer to the projection surface. This is using my el-cheapo DG-747 projector, incidentally.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Your DG-747 might have a 0% offset on the projectted image, so inverting the projector will not change the look, other than flipping it upside down. Most commercial/business projectors have a % offset, as seen below:

% offset

0% offset

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a Digital Galaxy DG-747 (*not* the LED model) that has high lumens and is great for my haunted footsteps effect. However, I'd like to use the projector out-of-season in a spare room to watch movies. I know projectors are typically mounted to a ceiling. But I don't want to permanently mess with the ceiling.

Are there other solutions for projection, e.g. somehow getting a mount that fits the DG-747 and mounting it to some sort of pole? I have no welding or other mechanical abilities, so this would need to be cobbled together with off-the-shelf parts and very little handy-man type work. Dead simple, something a child could do (given sufficient height or a ladder!) :)

Any suggestions? What about stacking up boxes or plastic bins sufficiently high to place the projector on, letting it sit there. Open to any easy suggestions. Doesn't have to look elegant. Just as to work. Again, don't want to mess with ceiling mounting at all.
Some of my projectors have a hole in the bottom which can screw into a standard camera tripod. If yous is like that and you ahve a decent tripod that might work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You sound like me. Bought a projector (or 2) in my case for halloween, then trying to find a use for them off season.

I still fancy watching a movie outside, but it is never warm enough in the uk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts