Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this REALLY cool (and cheep) HALF BODY skeleton character the other day (see photo attached) at a Halloween store. It's light weight plastic, has a sturdy cardboard base and is drapped in the back with black felt. Looks very-VERY spooky and realistic! BUT not sure how to use it

Last year I made an elaborate wooden coffin prop that BANGS inside for my yard haunt but that's all I got besides live actors. This year I wanted to add something else that moves on it's own in that area of my haunt as well.

Was thinking of putting the skeleton over an old fan I have so it slowly turns back and forth. Add a few cobwebs, and mini strobe light inside em and wa la. Was wondering if anyone else has a BETTER ideas for this guy though. I'd really like it to SHAKE and act scary..... Slowly turn back and forth on a fan seems a bit lame. Hmmm!

·
Registered
375 Posts
This year I repurposed a bush shaking item you can purchase at Big Lots this year. It is an offset shaking mechanism wired to plastic eyes that light up. I have affixed it to a static hanging ghoul I got at Walgreen;s last year. I put the eyes inside a good looking plastic skull I got at the grocery store. The ghoul is holding the skull, when he shakes, the eyes light up on the skull. Cheap and easy. I think it is sound activated, but can't remember. It's not put out yet because the weather here has gotten too wet, plus it's battery, so I will put it up closer to the date. He'll be hanging in a bungee spider web so hopefully he'll shake the whole web.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
He's pretty gross looking (cool) and when I first saw him I thought of having him quickly sitting up in the coffin to scare someone. But if you don't have a lot of props you would just really be adding to one you have and not expanding the yard much. So my next thought was a grave pop up (from behind the tombstone) or a drum (trashcan) pop up. I'm just starting to animate my own things so can't be of help here with this stuff yet. I have seen tutorials on both ideas I'm pretty sure here on the forum. Depending on your time and funds it might be best to put off something like this until next year at this point though.

I liked Nevergoback's idea of using the Shaking Hedge monster. I bought a few of them from BigLots this year also. Think I saw them in Target and Spirit Halloween as well. I could see making a wood backing sheet to attach the skeleton guy to on the front and mounting the box on the back side. Use a wood sheet just strong enough to support the box so as not to add too much weight to the prop. I would cut the wood out around the head and mount the eyes from the hedge monster on the back side of the head area. Cover the back side with dangling creepy cloth so that you are kind of dressing the skeleton guy in this and giving him a more 3-D look while covering the shaking box.

Then I would add a heavy eye hook at the top of the wood backing and hanging the guy from a tree or awning of your house. So if he spins around in the wind you would get a skeleton guy on one side and some clothed ghost creature with mean glowing eyes on the other side. When the box gets activated the whole thing would shake. At least that's how I would picture it in theory.

BTW it's looks to me from the photo of him that he has holes in his ribcage area and maybe at the bottom of the eye area. Can you put some LED lighting behind him (before attaching him to the board backing) so that you could have some eerie glowing light coming out from inside him? That would look cool I think.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ghost of Spookie and Nevergoback..... I've never seen the shaking Hedge monsters before BUT a child's toy that shakes might be just the ticket here. I'll go through my son's closet and see what he has that could be pulled apart. (With his OK of course.) :eek:)

The holes in the front confused me too. A friend of mine was saying I should pump some blood out of it but that seems a bit over the top. It'll be a yard display haunt and I thinking shaking or popping up would be more effective. This item was in the discount dept so my thinking was it was originally part of some larger scene and the holes were part of what it did. Still-- it seems like it could be a real eye catcher.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link. I was just at Target yesterday picking up a lighted arch and fence combo for the entrance to our haunted walk. I should have picked one of these up too.

Cool!

·
Registered
156 Posts
This year I repurposed a bush shaking item you can purchase at Big Lots this year. It is an offset shaking mechanism wired to plastic eyes that light up. I have affixed it to a static hanging ghoul I got at Walgreen;s last year. I put the eyes inside a good looking plastic skull I got at the grocery store. The ghoul is holding the skull, when he shakes, the eyes light up on the skull. Cheap and easy. I think it is sound activated, but can't remember. It's not put out yet because the weather here has gotten too wet, plus it's battery, so I will put it up closer to the date. He'll be hanging in a bungee spider web so hopefully he'll shake the whole web.
I kinda did the same thing.....need to align the head a bit lol Menard's and Target both sell the same thing as well.....

YouTube - MVI 4744

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Y2kgtp, thanks for sharing your video. He works great! I don't have much in the way of hedges so when I saw this product at BigLots a few months back thought it could be a cheap Monster In the Box motor to use. I love your skeleton set up.

BTW if you are thinking of finding one at a Target try using the online locator, since you can't buy this item online. My local store locator said one store was sold out and the one closest to me had limited quantities. When I was there last night they were all sold out (as well as a number of other halloween items--guess the sale worked and people really hit the shelves Sunday). Target is pretty nice to buy from. I'd suggest if you find a store that says it has limited quantity, call them during an off-hour when they can check the shelves and inventory and ask them to hold it for you. They've always done it for me when I was trying to pick up something and afraid it would get sold out before I got there. I think this is the best pre-halloween price I've seen anywhere on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts