Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
About 6 inches deep for a .5" PVC pipe.
If you are very patient you could take a 3/4" hole saw and drill out a little plug out .... remove it from the hole saw and do it again until you can't reach any farther with the hole saw. Usually it takes 17 seconds to cut the hole and 5 min to clear it from the hole saw, it can be frustrating to use them for that reason.

The suggestion to heat a pipe and melt it isn't a bad one. If you don't have a piece of metal pipe the right size (or at all) you could use a piece of very stiff copper wire and a small torch to make a bad approximation of a hot knife. I would heat the wire, draw a shallow circle in the foam, reheat and draw deeper circles each time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I forgot to put a channel and PVC pipe in my tombstone before I glued it together. facepalm Is there a way to route or drill out some holes? Possibly burn them? It's 2-inch foam.
Use either a masonry or wood-spade drill bit. I used a 12" long masonry drill bit for my tombstones. See original post with photos here: Static: - Tombstones - store bought mod ?'s

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can Styrofoam tolerate Guerilla Glue? If so, I'd use the spade bit for wood that matches the outside diameter of the pipe, and then glue the pipe in with the glue mentioned. The glue expands and will fill in any gaps.

You will never get the pipe back out again, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree a masonry bit would be your path of least resistance to solving your issue. However; I found this site where a maker sharpened pvc pipes to make hand drills that drill super clean holes in multiple kinds of foam.
Would be handy to have a few of these kicking around if you work with foam a lot. Makes me want to build something full of holes just so I could try this. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts