Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mask is part of a group of masks which included numerous Don Post masks. Is this a Don Post mask? Does anyone know what it might be called? Like the confirmed Don Post masks from this collection this mask features lots of detail and very thick latex. Definitely a collectable mask rather than one to be worn(it wouldn't fit my head that's for sure!). Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_0004.jpg

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This mask could also be a Distortions Unlimited mask. At this point I'm leaning in that direction after looking through many Don Post catalogs. Could be anyone's mask but this mask was probably made early to mid 80's.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
If I knew, I would gladly help you out, but I have never seen that mask, SPOOKMART. It looks like a dragon man to me, though I have no clue what it would be called besides that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have no concrete answers but it looks like it could be one of the generic aliens that show up here and there in shows and movies like Star Trek.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put it this way who was producing masks like this in the early to mid 80's? Were there a great many people/studios? I've explored creature connections and or variations, reptilian, Star Trek, aliens, etc but come up dry. There's a great mask blog I was using last night but could find nothing in a catalog. Based upon the other masks I'm seeing it comes from a similar pedigree if you will. It also comes from a similar age. The mask and the others were kept in good condition and not used but there is considerable discoloration of the latex where it's almost orange. I think that takes a while to come about. I looked at masks from Don Post, Distortions Unlimited, and Death Studios and stylistically albeit based upon only these 3 I think it is a Distortions creation. I could of course be wrong and very wrong but after looking for hours that's my sense.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
This mask is indeed The Hideous Sun Demon. It was cast from the original Forry Ackerman sculpt by David Lady.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Shadowbat, I came across that info yesterday. Another person was selling an olive green one and said his was made in the late 80's. I also came across one of the brown/mustard ones on some site. There was also some kind of indication the movie was remade and perhaps that's how these masks popped up. I really don't know and since like you said and I seen it was based off of the original mold/sculpture it's possible anyone could have created them. It was probably a very limited mask too because most Halloween people buy masks to wear and unless you've got a head straight out of the Beetlejuice movie it aint happening.

My brother got these masks from a collector selling all his masks. Seems like almost all of them thus far as modeled after low budget 50's horror movies with some Don Post Universal Horror thrown in.Latex used seems to be quite durable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts