Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are avid Halloween peeps and even got married on Halloween Day almost 25 years ago. Enough about me though because Halloween is more important! :) I would like honest opinions on our decorated campsite from last year. We are addressing some flaws from last year. Only having one day to set up was so hard that I didn’t decorate the front like I had pictured. And we noticed my crashed ufo’s lights weren’t on after hubby took the video. Here’s the link. Thank you!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,534 Posts
You do this in less than a day? My goodness you must be exhausted after this!!

It looks FAN-freaking-TASTIC in my opinion. :D

Honestly - I would have been thrilled with the general graveyard/hearse setup - it's lovely with great lighting, some nice moving props and even a few surprises (the crawling guy under the hearse is a nice little pop for me watching the vid). And then you go to an inside walkthrough carnival/circus with blacklights? OMG!

Seriously - it's wonderful. Anything I could suggest would be purely gilding the lily as it were. You have a great assortment of props, well laid out, several themes that transition well (divided areas), great lighting, some nice scares, lots and lots of things to look at and be entertained. You have sound/music even that is so in theme/fun! It would be an amazing setup in a home haunt, but that you set this up at a campsite? You're a rockstar. :cool:

Reactions: ronda1031

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do this in less than a day? My goodness you must be exhausted after this!!

It looks FAN-freaking-TASTIC in my opinion. :D

Honestly - I would have been thrilled with the general graveyard/hearse setup - it's lovely with great lighting, some nice moving props and even a few surprises (the crawling guy under the hearse is a nice little pop for me watching the vid). And then you go to an inside walkthrough carnival/circus with blacklights? OMG!

Seriously - it's wonderful. Anything I could suggest would be purely gilding the lily as it were. You have a great assortment of props, well laid out, several themes that transition well (divided areas), great lighting, some nice scares, lots and lots of things to look at and be entertained. You have sound/music even that is so in theme/fun! It would be an amazing setup in a home haunt, but that you set this up at a campsite? You're a rockstar. :cool:
Thank you! Yes, one day to do it was exhausting! The carnevil has been something I’m quite proud of. We took an old camper and built it back from the frame. :)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I don't camp but me and the wife go to campsites for a couple hours to take in the Halloween festivities at different sites every year....That set up is in the top 3 I've seen...Amazing job!....I tried to do a tent walk through a couple years ago and we had a huge windstorm come through the same night and knock it down....I'm glad to see you pulled it off....Your fellow campers are lucky to have you...ZR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't camp but me and the wife go to campsites for a couple hours to take in the Halloween festivities at different sites every year....That set up is in the top 3 I've seen...Amazing job!....I tried to do a tent walk through a couple years ago and we had a huge windstorm come through the same night and knock it down....I'm glad to see you pulled it off....Your fellow campers are lucky to have you...ZR
The reason we did the haunted camper was due to wind. We almost lost our display a few years ago because of high wind. Told hubby we have way too much money invested to lose my props! Thank you so much for you feedback! We absolutely love Halloween. We did win the best decorated site but we are always open to opinions to improve upon.

·
Registered
Prop Building
92 Posts
The reason we did the haunted camper was due to wind. We almost lost our display a few years ago because of high wind. Told hubby we have way too much money invested to lose my props! Thank you so much for you feedback! We absolutely love Halloween. We did win the best decorated site but we are always open to opinions to improve upon.
Wind and Snow! The banes of my haunt building experience! Why does Halloween have to be at the point in the year where we have a 50/50 chance of a haunt turning into a winter wonderland. Love the decorations!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wind and Snow! The banes of my haunt building experience! Why does Halloween have to be at the point in the year where we have a 50/50 chance of a haunt turning into a winter wonderland. Love the decorations!
Yep but the cool weather makes Halloween so much better!

·
Registered
275 Posts
From one Halloween camper to another very impressive, I only took 2nd last year. You must be going to a place that has very big lots, as it's impressive in size. The old camper is a great idea, could maybe even pre do some and for storage and taking there as you have a lot. Where I go only 1 camper is allowed even if its a decoration we had freinds that tried it. Takes me 3 loads with the Halloween stuff in a utitlity trailer and Suburban packed. Wish our lots were that big I get a bigger one but with Vehicles 33 ft camper and then adding the 10x20 enclosed poratble car port for decorations not much more room if any. BUt definatley have to put the animtronics and certain decorations out of the weather.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From one Halloween camper to another very impressive, I only took 2nd last year. You must be going to a place that has very big lots, as it's impressive in size. The old camper is a great idea, could maybe even pre do some and for storage and taking there as you have a lot. Where I go only 1 camper is allowed even if its a decoration we had freinds that tried it. Takes me 3 loads with the Halloween stuff in a utitlity trailer and Suburban packed. Wish our lots were that big I get a bigger one but with Vehicles 33 ft camper and then adding the 10x20 enclosed poratble car port for decorations not much more room if any. BUt definatley have to put the animtronics and certain decorations out of the weather.
That is actually the largest site there. We have drooled over it for years and finally snagged it last year. Sadly we didn’t get it this year or next year so we booked 2 sites for 2 weeks. :). Expensive but it’ll be worth it! The storage part of the camper is the best. I don’t have to put the stuff anywhere else! We used to have our camper packed plus a trailer and both truck beds to haul it all.

2nd place is great too! Seems like every other year we get 2nd. This year I’m trying to break that curse! :). I’m doing a big skeleton display in the front. They are going to be partying! Doing a DJ skeleton, ones playing cornhole, piñatas, drinking, and a bunch of other stuff! I’m pretty stoked about it.

Hubby has a lot to build this year though! Longer fence is a must, we had way too many people walking all over the props and lights. Gladly nothing like building a camper from the frame up though! That sucked since we only had 2 months to get it all finished!

Good luck on your display this year! 🕸🎃

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does get expensive for sure we have pretty much always gone for 2 weeks for a very long time, if you don't the second week is always the best and there is a 15 day limit or who knows might be doing the third week, I've thought about doing an extra site but gets expensive. Trying to get my other utilty trailer rebuilt so can preload stuff and/or redo the car trailer. My last load out is actually just a few things with a trailler mostly full of wood. Have as much as possible in totes.

Sad part where I go you can only win every other year or 3rd year, bad but good also, there is a few of us that do huge displays, I was the talk of the campground 2 years ago with my laser swamp and people were saying that they were told they had to come see it, bad thing is the area I was in starting losing power several times and of course when the judges came by and when they came back. I'm debating my big guy next year taking him out, think my distorations Zombie will make an appearance but maybe just day of just in case. I do mostly Medevil stuff or partial theme do a lot of dragons, skeletons and spiders, ( and do have the HD one). Wanted to do a undead Army which I'm thinking this year just need to find time to work on stuff. Hear you on the fence mine needs to be redone, old one never got to the toppers have them just haven't made it on the fence. I've been debating all pvc as I have to just store them outside instead of the wood middles.

Biggest thing I wanted to try this year if I can just paint that portable car port covers and sides Black. The poles plus additional bracing are already painted. Putting the top on and then covering the whole thing in plastic just takes way to long as the ends are seperate and taping the whole thing in place, spend ours working on it. Being White just doesn't work light shows through it and not dark inside, and TOT starts around 5 so still way to light just gets good when TOT ends. Plus need to work out the kinks for the laser swamp going horizontal couldn't get it to work just right, vertical was so much easier. like the first time I did it a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does get expensive for sure we have pretty much always gone for 2 weeks for a very long time, if you don't the second week is always the best and there is a 15 day limit or who knows might be doing the third week, I've thought about doing an extra site but gets expensive. Trying to get my other utilty trailer rebuilt so can preload stuff and/or redo the car trailer. My last load out is actually just a few things with a trailler mostly full of wood. Have as much as possible in totes.

Sad part where I go you can only win every other year or 3rd year, bad but good also, there is a few of us that do huge displays, I was the talk of the campground 2 years ago with my laser swamp and people were saying that they were told they had to come see it, bad thing is the area I was in starting losing power several times and of course when the judges came by and when they came back. I'm debating my big guy next year taking him out, think my distorations Zombie will make an appearance but maybe just day of just in case. I do mostly Medevil stuff or partial theme do a lot of dragons, skeletons and spiders, ( and do have the HD one). Wanted to do a undead Army which I'm thinking this year just need to find time to work on stuff. Hear you on the fence mine needs to be redone, old one never got to the toppers have them just haven't made it on the fence. I've been debating all pvc as I have to just store them outside instead of the wood middles.

Biggest thing I wanted to try this year if I can just paint that portable car port covers and sides Black. The poles plus additional bracing are already painted. Putting the top on and then covering the whole thing in plastic just takes way to long as the ends are seperate and taping the whole thing in place, spend ours working on it. Being White just doesn't work light shows through it and not dark inside, and TOT starts around 5 so still way to light just gets good when TOT ends. Plus need to work out the kinks for the laser swamp going horizontal couldn't get it to work just right, vertical was so much easier. like the first time I did it a couple of years ago.
Thankfully this campground lets the campers vote for the winner! :). Would love to see pics of your displays! Sounds amazing! Our campground does TOT at 2 for safety reasons. I would rather it be at dark but I understand why.

1,464 Posts
Wow looking great. We use to have a Halloween group pre Facebook that in the summer we'd get together for a camping weekend. Everyone was asked to decorate... no one really went too big it was a small group camp and the power was OLD and liked to blow the breakers as soon as someone's AC kicked in. But what fun. A weekend of how tos, sharing ideas and an evening of spooky movies, music and partying. Learned how to build our first car wiper motor prop the first campout we attended.

Wish we had camp decorating opportunities like that here now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow looking great. We use to have a Halloween group pre Facebook that in the summer we'd get together for a camping weekend. Everyone was asked to decorate... no one really went too big it was a small group camp and the power was OLD and liked to blow the breakers as soon as someone's AC kicked in. But what fun. A weekend of how tos, sharing ideas and an evening of spooky movies, music and partying. Learned how to build our first car wiper motor prop the first campout we attended.

Wish we had camp decorating opportunities like that here now.
Sounds fun! We had a little electrical issue when it rained but luckily we had a backup outlet stick. Happened just as the crowd started coming on Friday but we fixed it quickly. Only bad thing with this kind of setup is we couldn’t leave the site unless someone would watch it for us. Lots of kids and adults like to pull on the animatronics. :( We’ve had 2 of them to be broken. Thankfully my sister and brother will hang out and watch it so we can go check out the other sites.

1,464 Posts
I was thinking things like what one does while things were running. Our old camp out was on a Group Loop that the host of the camping would have the staff block off from cars coming into. Walk ins were ok but NO cars beyond those belonging to us. Because it was a large-ish group of us in a mostly contained space there was always some one around to watch over things. Despite that we learned to never take something that we weren't willing to lose.

Now I'm curious where do you sleep at night if you have your rig decked out in the inside as well? We always did our "haunt" under two 12X12 canopies, leaving the rig to sleep and cook in. In the "rainy" season when we wanted to have the canopies enclosed we learned the use of Lengths of Black plastic and office clips tp hang it to the bars of the canopies. We've done dot rooms and strobe light rooms this way. Put up the Black Plastic walls then hang length of painted with skull "dots" or black and white check scene setters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking things like what one does while things were running. Our old camp out was on a Group Loop that the host of the camping would have the staff block off from cars coming into. Walk ins were ok but NO cars beyond those belonging to us. Because it was a large-ish group of us in a mostly contained space there was always some one around to watch over things. Despite that we learned to never take something that we weren't willing to lose.

Now I'm curious where do you sleep at night if you have your rig decked out in the inside as well? We always did our "haunt" under two 12X12 canopies, leaving the rig to sleep and cook in. In the "rainy" season when we wanted to have the canopies enclosed we learned the use of Lengths of Black plastic and office clips tp hang it to the bars of the canopies. We've done dot rooms and strobe light rooms this way. Put up the Black Plastic walls then hang length of painted with skull "dots" or black and white check scene setters.
Our main camper was parked to the side of the display. We placed a closed sign and parked our Cricket golf cart in the entry to the mausoleum to keep it closed while we were sleeping. Worked ok until little kids decided to crawl over the golf cart to go in. I fussed at the parents for allowing them to do that. They knew everything was turned off. This year we will add a locking gate to the front to keep them out while we are sleeping. We obviously want people to come into the site but they need to respect people’s stuff and not go in when we aren’t there.

We used to have 2 large canopies with everything under them but we outgrew them and was worried about losing props due to bad weather. The old camper we bought was $600 and we put about $800 into building it so it’s like a cheap storage shed too! :). We still use our large 10x20 canopy for the mausoleum so that keeps most of the other stuff dry too.

1,464 Posts
Unsupervised children are worse then unsupervised pets. Alas somewhere they weren't taught respect for others... Humm wonder if there is a video game that can do that...

So you take 2 rigs? Humm I love the idea of using one for storage and the display. Can never have enough off season storage. We live in the PNW so our rainy season seems to last from Labor Day to July 4th. We host Halloween potluck event for out Geocaching group. We do mini haunts for these. Up on Fri AM down by Sun AM... LOTS of work. As I mentioned those 12X12 canopies became a dot room and a strobe room... The last 2 years we added a 10X20 to house a creepy jungle room. Figured out getting those stretchy cargo nets from Harbor Freight allows me me to hang cut up pool noodles and fake rope vines, some of Stiltbeast Human pelts and have a friend in a gorilla suit walking around.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds nice ! My friend does a pretty big display too, wife blames her for my obsession, she has always had issues with kids messing with stuff. She doesn't have the animantronics she does more stuff with the masks she has and then just makes bodys for them. Me on the other hand I have the animantronics and other dollar items that get destroyed in weather and thought about kids teenagers getting into stuff. My fencing has always been on the outside stuff not blocking the Shelter I've been wanting to put it so around the whole front with a gate like you said that locks especially if keeping it open more. People just don't respect stuff anymore and expect just to be able to come in and touch stuff and it seems if something gets broken they just laugh it off. Friends have issues with Kids/Teens playing by their display as their is quite a bit of space and grassy next to the bathrom, seem slike every year they get a football in there and/or some other kind of ball. Which doesn't help she just puts up stacks with the yellow caution tape at first she just did yard markers but I gave her some plastic electric fence posts to use so it would be higher.

I've had things ruined because of the weather why I went to the carport started out with 10x10 canopies and a 10x20 party canopy which collapsed first time out. Going to the poratble car port and adding sides was the best thing I did justa hassle putting lack plastic over top to darken it. Plan is to see if I can paint it this summer so just have to do the correct top and sides, plus easier to handle. Will put out Skeletons and hard items that can take the weather but thats it outside.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Figured out getting those stretchy cargo nets from Harbor Freight allows me me to hang cut up pool noodles and fake rope vines, some of Stiltbeast Human pelts and have a friend in a gorilla suit walking around.
Thanks for bringing this up never thought about using them, I can see using them as spider webs on my ceiling. Those large spider webs you can buy fall apart way to easy and almost only good one season the way they get.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Unsupervised children are worse then unsupervised pets. Alas somewhere they weren't taught respect for others... Humm wonder if there is a video game that can do that...

So you take 2 rigs? Humm I love the idea of using one for storage and the display. Can never have enough off season storage. We live in the PNW so our rainy season seems to last from Labor Day to July 4th. We host Halloween potluck event for out Geocaching group. We do mini haunts for these. Up on Fri AM down by Sun AM... LOTS of work. As I mentioned those 12X12 canopies became a dot room and a strobe room... The last 2 years we added a 10X20 to house a creepy jungle room. Figured out getting those stretchy cargo nets from Harbor Freight allows me me to hang cut up pool noodles and fake rope vines, some of Stiltbeast Human pelts and have a friend in a gorilla suit walking around.
Heck the parents were as bad as the kids. They kept walking on our lights. That’s why we are making an extra 30’ of fence to keep people out of the front display. This year we are putting out lots of skeletons doing different things so we definitely don’t want them getting messed up. I can’t wait to set up the skeleton party! It’s going to be so cute!

Our campground allows us keep the Halloween camper there and they pull it to our site. They are absolutely wonderful! We will still have to pull a camper and trailer this year with other stuff in it. Had to add more! :) So much crap to haul! :). But we love it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds nice ! My friend does a pretty big display too, wife blames her for my obsession, she has always had issues with kids messing with stuff. She doesn't have the animantronics she does more stuff with the masks she has and then just makes bodys for them. Me on the other hand I have the animantronics and other dollar items that get destroyed in weather and thought about kids teenagers getting into stuff. My fencing has always been on the outside stuff not blocking the Shelter I've been wanting to put it so around the whole front with a gate like you said that locks especially if keeping it open more. People just don't respect stuff anymore and expect just to be able to come in and touch stuff and it seems if something gets broken they just laugh it off. Friends have issues with Kids/Teens playing by their display as their is quite a bit of space and grassy next to the bathrom, seem slike every year they get a football in there and/or some other kind of ball. Which doesn't help she just puts up stacks with the yellow caution tape at first she just did yard markers but I gave her some plastic electric fence posts to use so it would be higher.

I've had things ruined because of the weather why I went to the carport started out with 10x10 canopies and a 10x20 party canopy which collapsed first time out. Going to the poratble car port and adding sides was the best thing I did justa hassle putting lack plastic over top to darken it. Plan is to see if I can paint it this summer so just have to do the correct top and sides, plus easier to handle. Will put out Skeletons and hard items that can take the weather but thats it outside.
People definitely don’t respect other people’s stuff. It’s sad but most of the campers understand that it’s for looking at and not touching. Unfortunately there are a few that just don’t care.

We use one of those wedding style canopies with the plastic windows around it for the mausoleum. Let’s in light and we chose the black one so it already looks creepy! :).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts