Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am finishing up my monster in a box and was just trying to get some ideas on how everyone makes the cam wheel for the lid to move

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
redrum
988 Posts
What JCO said. I just used some 3 ply plywood I had laying around and also used a random irregular shape.
I used a thicker ply bacause my box was outside in the moisture and pressboard hates that.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine, I did out of 2-layers of 1/2 inch plywood, which comes out less than an inch in width. With a 1-inch follower, it works very well. The design is pretty much up to you, I cut mine on a bandsaw, but the more eccentric, the better. Even with an eccentric cam, you will be able to tell it's a machine if you watch it long enough, the brain picks up on patterns. There are electronic ways to program your box to work in reverse and move in reasonably unpredictable ways, but of course, that adds time, complexity and expense to your prop. If people are only going to see it for a few seconds, it doesn't really matter. If it's sitting out where people can see it for a long time, it probably does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts