Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it might be fun to get some input and share ideas among those of us who are planning Mad Scientist Laboratories (as in, la-BOR-a-tries).
My own lab plans are many, but finished props are few (mostly because of the space they take up when done), however, if there's some interest I'll share as I go. My plan is to have 3 basic areas with some location overlap. Collections, Specimens and Oddities should wind up just off the kitchen, outside the laundry room door. Inside the laundry room I plan for an area centered on electricity and chemistry (plasma ball, bubbling beakers), and what I hope will be the pièce de résistance-- the Cloning and Regeneration area, complete with a monster on a slab AND a gauze-wrapped mannequin floating in a big aquarium-- Hoping for a little Rocky Horror vibe to that part.
I whipped this up just for fun:
DSC04161.jpg
(the one on the right doesn't show well in this shot, but she's "student body president")
Yeah, I know Dr. Frankenstein was Swiss, but I like the idea of his being educated in Transylvania. I'll run the diploma by an actual Romanian-speaker for editing before I print up my final copy. (I have no command of the language. I know a few important words, like-- "good day", "where is...", "please", "thank you", "mushrooms", "cheese"-- the necessities.)
When I get back from the grocery store, I'll do a trial run on an idea that's been playing bumper cars with the others in a corner of my mind.

So, folks with lab displays, collections, or even nebulous ideas, what do you say?

DSC04155.jpg

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
I say, very cool!! :cool: Your ideas for your lab sound wonderful, ooojen. I love the back stories you create. That makes your display really come to life. I may have a few ideas to contribute here. Also, there is a very simple tutorial made by GOS for waterless specimen jars that everyone should see.

The two fake-water jars I made, based on Ghost of Spookie's tut, are on the top shelf in the above photo.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to see some of your ideas, PiB!
Good suggestion about GoS's jars! I picked up a couple magnifier sheets in antici-

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...pation
Your pictures in the first post didn't show up for me the first time I looked. I wasn't ignoring! Very cool! The water effect is perfect, too! I'll probably try it with a printed out head-in-a-jar paper face (though that's a little more intense than my usual prop.)
The spare parts are great! I love humor in a display-- creepy on the surface, with a few little Halloween-style Easter Eggs here and there for those who look closely.

Below, one of several nods to Young Frankenstein (I have a 'How I Did It' book in the works). Pop can for perspective, but :rolleyes: if I'm going to use something as perspective, it should go next to the item I'm photographing, not in the foreground. Suffice it to say, the jar is very large.:
DSC04165.jpg

Of course, it will be empty, as the monster will be finished (more or less). I'm already enjoying the fact that the "brain" jar is about 1/4 this size.

Still thinking about the little oval-glass display case. Maybe this guy will go in there, with a bit of work to pretty things up.

DSC04168.jpg

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonderfully horrible, spookydave! Yeah, that saw looks like it has been used. *shudder*
I like the bag, too. Those aren't easy to find!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be a great idea! Maybe a small deposit to be sure the prop isn't returned in any better shape than when it went out... I'm sure most of us have items that we don't use regularly, but others are looking for. I do multiple themes in different areas, but I still have things that go into rotation.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I also want to increase my lab this year and make it one of the biggest scenes. Here's a picture of last years' OOOPS wrong picture but cool idea!

HERE IS THE LINK to correct image
http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/3pinkpoodles-albums-2014-classic-halloween-vampires-witches-frankenstein-s-lab-picture231103-frankenstein-lab-jello-mold-painted-brain-colors-cheap-brains-thats-coral-painted-black-light-paint-looked-great.html

This day is seriously filled with technical difficulties. TRY THIS AGAIN:

frank.jpg

http://www.halloweenforum.com/membe...l-painted-black-light-paint-looked-great.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a resin eagle talon that I picked up cheaply enough to make it not worth sculpting one. I have a little foam stressball brain that fits in it perfectly-- but I'm still deciding how I'll use it.

Spookydave-- what's your theme going to be this year?

My surgical tools are way too new and shiny. I'll have to do something about that. I've been shopping for a stainless steel instruments pan, but haven't yet found one for a price I like. I'd also like to make a dissection pan with some wax poured in the bottom (nostalgic? for my college days, way back when dead things were still packed in formaldehyde-- Bio majors and nursing students roaming around campus with dead cats in plastic bags... nasty! Sharks were worse, but I digress.) I have one of those big stainless syringes, too.
I also have access to 3 giant gun-style syringes. They're enough to make the average person cringe, but a good number of our friends and neighbors (the party guests) are, or come from, farms, where the giant syringes are just another mundane tool for keeping cattle healthy.

DSC04169.jpg

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooo, 3pinkpodls, love the sets! And you're LizEventPlanner? I've spent loads of time admiring your Pinterest boards!

I've been downstairs digging thorough boxes. I found my fetal skeleton, some nice funky lights, more apothecary jars with ground glass stoppers, but my animal x-rays are MIA. Must keep looking!
Digging through stuff makes me anxious to decorate!

·
Registered
902 Posts
we don't really do themes, we do the cemetery out front , and turn our home into a haunted house. we just keep adding to what we have to try to make it better , we'll let folks roam around the house on Halloween if they ask to , but the inside is mainly done for our Halloween party, which we usually have 80 - 125 people show up for.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet stuff on your Pinterest boards! I can waste So Much time on there! (But I guess if it's fun, it's not really time wasted, right?)

I'll throw in a couple pictures from Halloween Past, when my lab stuff was just a little extra decor to dress up a bit of counter and shelf space:
20111101_118.jpg

20111101_120.jpg

20111101_122.jpg

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
ooojen, you have lots of cool lab stuff on those counters.

I remember 3pinkpoodles' project was made from a toy kitchen, and then some shelves added around. The paint job on the whole thing was wonderfully lab-like.

If you or family members have had orthodontia work, you may have some of these dental forms around the house. I painted some of ours up as zombie teeth. I know Hilda made hers into vampire teeth. Both ideas make pretty disturbing specimens!

1 - 20 of 362 Posts