Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on this site long enough to know that there are quite a few foam experts on this forum. My question to all of you is what do i use to fill in any gaps or seams on pink poly foam? I have quite a few areas on my tombstones that i would like to patch and smooth out before i paint them. So what do you all suggest?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have never tried to fill in the joints...but if I were going to attempt it I would use joint compound. The problem you may have is those joints have some flex in them and may crack.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,298 Posts
Silicone caulking is my fave for filling in holes and gaps in foamcore. Same stuff you'd get for caulking around your bathtub or windows. It's available in the little tubes and for a caulking gun too.

Waterproof, paintable and flexible. I also think it's water cleanup (every type I've gotten has been anyway)

Joint compound is great, but it isn't waterproof and will crack.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,605 Posts
I use joint compound too. Never had any problems with it.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I have used joint compound and some times wood filler in a pinch. Stick with the joint compound because it works best. That wood puddy only cracked and shunk up. The joint compound is nthe way to go.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My favorite is Elmers Wood Filler. Cheap, sandable to perfectly smooth, or textured if applied with a popsicle stick in a spackle type motion, paintable, and doesnt crack on me like joint compound did. Oh, and dries in like 15 minutes (for a light coat) and is CHEAP!

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, thank you and thank you!!!

I knew you guys could help me on this.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am gonna start with the Elmers wood filler and see how that goes.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i tried and it was a mistake. it expands to much and there are too many bubbles inside of it when it expands. So when you go to sand it down its not all completely solid and more times than not you are left with bubble holes that need to be filled.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've used liquid nails. It's usually there at hand when gluing pieces together, it's tough, sandable, and strengthens the joint, too.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am doing a tombstone right now with liquid nails and it is taking forever to dry. Any ideas on how to speed up the drying time with that stuff? I have been using a fan for the past two days but i applied a lot of it so thick that i think that it is going to take forever to dry or just isn't going to dry in time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah....you've got to be careful with Liquid Nails. It's super sticky, doesn't take much to adhere things together and does take a while to dry. I learned the hard way. Keep the fan runnin'. And cool and dry will be faster than warm and damp.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks a lot

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
For securing styrofoam to wood, I use Titebond II All Weather Wood Glue. It's the best stuff ever. I also use it for most of my styro-to-styro gluing.

I have never used great stuff as a bonding agent, but I have made some pretty cool staffs and broom handles by coating a dowel with great stuff and then molding in some stubs and knots so it looks like an old branch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts