Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, so hello!

We bought our first house last year and we're very much into the Halloween spirt.

I really like the caldron creep but a question on the wiring. I found the motors on eBay (tyc-50) 110 and 12V, but they're both AC. I have a computer power supply but not sure on the hacks.

Would I be able to just use a house hold power cord on the 110? I like the computer power supply idea due to all the hook ups for power, eyes, lights, etc.

I was thinking of using an old 12v battery with a switch I had but that's DC and probably wouldn't work with the motors.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Welcome!

This motor http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBUST-TYC-50-SYNCHRONOUS-MOTOR-AC110V-10-12RPM-4W-CW-CCW-Torque-1-5KG-STOCK-/151369854145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233e58acc1 could be wired with a cord taken from an old fan or computer. To use one of the 12-volt motors you would need an AC power converter/supply/adapter. A battery or computer power supply would not work since they are both DC.

I think there is a thread somewhere that shows how to set one of these motors up. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
72 Hondo, Welcome to the forum! I made my first cauldron creep last year. I used a reindeer motor for the skeleton movement and a 12v wiper motor for the cauldron stirring movement. I have electrified the Haunted Forest so I can use 110v AC household current to power props. The reindeer motor runs on 110v AC and the wiper motor runs on 12v DC but this was not a problem as I just hooked the wiper motor to a small battery charger and ran it all on 110v. The creeps eyes are LED that have a resistor built in (purchased from Monsterguts.com) so I used a 9v power supply for this. The fogger of course also runs on 110v AC. Everything simply plugged into a 110v power strip. Now having said all of this I have in the past used 12v lawn tractor batteries to power 12v wiper motor driven props in the haunted forest as well. And this year I will use one again to power my new Rockin' Granny I just finished as there is no electric power close to her house in the forest..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to pick up two of these

Robust Small AC Synchronous Motor TYC-50 110V AC 5/6RPM CW/CCW Torque 4Kgf.cm

And wire them up with old computer power cables.

I hope the trq will be enough.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could always spend a few dollars more and buy the complete motor already safely wired.

Madmax had them for sale in the merchant section and Kindy's has them here: http://www.kindys.com/products/decorating-accessories/replacement-motors/replacement-motor-48-animated-buck

Any way you go, they should have plenty of power. Just make sure the stirring stick moves freely and doesn't catch on anything.
Sold!! Thanks.

I may do it a bit different. I'd like the stick to rotate on it's own with no one holding it. Then a witch standing a couple feet away with arms and fingers extended towards the caldron as if she's stirring with her magical powers.

Then I will work something out to where her head would turn to you like "what're you looking at?"

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sold!! Thanks.

I may do it a bit different. I'd like the stick to rotate on it's own with no one holding it. Then a witch standing a couple feet away with arms and fingers extended towards the caldron as if she's stirring with her magical powers.

Then I will work something out to where her head would turn to you like "what're you looking at?"
Very clever idea--can't wait to see it in action!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,936 Posts
I did mine with reindeer motors too. Makes it really simple since they just plug up, already run at a nice slow pace, auto reverse in case of a jam, and are somewhat weatherproof already. I run my stirring action, coals, and the head movement off of one 3 plug extension cord. If I were to add eyes I would probably just hook the LEDs to a small battery pack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts